Bigger Brood Chamber???

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Eddy Honey, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I have a hive with a newer queen (actually it's the sister queen to Medics) that has filled 2 eight frame deeps with brood. They even have brood on the inside portion of frames 1 & 8 in each box. A drawn honey super went on last week and I'm experimenting with 7 frames in an eight frame medium.

Another experiment I did was to move this hive to my friends red/white clover hay fields which have been cut once to date.

I put an excluder under the honey super.

Should I add a 3rd deep? I suppose I could transfer them to 10 frame equipment which would give them an extra 4 frames to work.
    I wasn't expecting much from this hive as it has been my experimental trial and error hive all season but now I have aspirations of a honey crop!

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

yeah you'll need those extra 4 frames if for nothing else storage for when the bees put nectar in the upper corners even fill outer most frames with honey and pollen, nice nest egg for the bees to overwinter with initially.
    Barry

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would I like the idea of an unlimited brood chamber. I run 3 deeps on several of my hives

4. Omie

Omie New Member

I would definitely consider more brood area if thier two eight frame boxes are jam packed. I like the idea of putting them in two 10's and then harvesting more honey in supers up top. You can always put them back into two or three 8 frame boxes for the winter, as you see fit.