Birdhouse cutout. My first cutout.

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by TexasnewBee, Mar 7, 2012.

1. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Well, while I am still trying to coax some bees out of a RR tie into a hive, a buddy of mine says his dad owns an abandoned house, that for quite a few years now, has a birdhouse that has bees in it. His dad had tried to kill them in 2010 by pouring gas on them. I went and looked and sure nuf they were still there. So it looked like a good opportunity for a new guy like me.

[​IMG]

So last Saturday evening about an hour before sundown, my wife and I went over and closed up all of the holes with metal screen and duct tape, removed it from the post it was mounted on, bagged it up in a sheet, and loaded it up in the truck. We brought it home, unwrapped it and removed the screen from the main entrance and left it for the night next to there new home.

[​IMG]

The plan was to move them Sunday into a new box. Sunday was 71 and pretty windy. I left them alone until mid-afternoon. They were active and reorienting to the new surroundings. Invited my sister and brother-in-law over to observe what ever might happen, since there is no beekeeping history in my family, so this was an all new experience. Well it was time. :cry: My wife and I donned our bran spankin new bee suits and took a deep breath. A bit of smoke and I removed the front wall and side wall. WOW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I ended up moving 7 comb with brood, into the frames of my hive. This was amazing. There were a lot more bees than I had expected to find. Finally did all I knew to do, so I left them to find there way into there new home. I never did see the queen. I will check it out this weekend to see if there are new eggs to verify she made it.

[​IMG]

I left some of the rest of the comb out for them to move the honey from and took some comb in the house for ourselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awesome experience! :yahoo: Thanks for the advice and help from everyone. I guess I am officially a keeper of bees now or they may be keepers of me, is probably more like it.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Great Job!!!! What a confidence booster for sure!!

That is one of the biggest things..........there are so many bees, seems like they just keep coming.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Fantastic pictures and Well Done.
    Thanks for posting the follow up. :coolphotos:

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

Great job and terrific pictures :clap: You are definitely hooked now !

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Yelp, those little ladies done reeled Texas in.... ;)

What a nice situation to do your first cutout in, too!!!! Good job!!!!

Ed

6. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

That's awesome, nice way to do your first cut-out, at home and on your schedule.

I hope my first one goes as well.

Thanks for sharing

This bee thing is bad, all I get done doing is reading about bees and watching youtube bee videos.

7. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Yes, me too. Every evening after work for the last 2 months!

8. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

...hey kid, ya wanna buzz? Evil_Little_Bee_Royalty_Free_Cartoon_Vector_.jpg

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I just want to echo everything that everyone else has said. Great job and great pics. Looks to me like you need to add another brood box ASAP.

10. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Thanks Gunsmith for the comment on the additional brood box. I do have one on order and hopefully will get it this week. :thumbsup:

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Very nice pics, and congratulations on your successful cutout! I think I'm going to get my permit before doing any cutouts past my bee tree. I learned about permits at metro beekeepers meeting on Monday, and since there are SIGNS on my truck, I am really easy to identify.

(unfortunately the bees fled the tree a couple of weeks before I got there, but I got some great comb, paid and some firewood.)

Gypsi

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

What kind of permit do you have to have??

Just another fee for the governor??

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Texas Newbee--it looks like you struck gold and mined it well. What a great way to start out with bees. :thumbsup:

14. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Saturday, I did an inspection to see how things were progressing. This is the 14th day since I moved them from the birdhouse. I did see quite a bit of brood and larvae, so I do have a queen! They had added comb to the 7 frames that had the transferred comb in it. Most were attached at the top and bottom 1 side and were 3/4 to 7/8 full of comb. Of the 3 frames that had foundation, they had just started building comb on 2 of them on one side only. There was a lot of brood and stored syrup and pollen. So overall I would say the single deep, is about 70 % full of comb. I am thinking I should be adding another deep anytime or should I wait till the 3 foundation frames are drawn?

15. jim314

jim314 New Member

Sounds like everything is going well :) I would go ahead and add the next box if they have 70% of the lower box drawn out. It's probably not something you have to do within the next couple of days, but be ready.

16. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Now wait a doggone minute! All the comb in that cutout was straight and square! Where's the challenge? :lol:
    But seriously... great work! And quite the stack of "reward", too!

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

TexasNewbee said: "...Of the 3 frames that had foundation, they had just started building comb on 2 of them on one side only."

You're early in the season so you won't probably have reason to use this "trick", but when bees are working slowly and have finished building only one side of a foundation with comb, you can encourage thm to build the second side by turning the frame around so that the built side is away from the center of activity.

18. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Thanks for the tip on the frame reversal efmesch!

Hobie said..."Now wait a doggone minute! All the comb in that cutout was straight and square!"

Hobie you just gotta be selective on the shape and size of the birdhouse to cutout! :lol: :thumbsup: