bit or stung by something, but what?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bens-Bees, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Something very nasty bit or stung me today when I had taken off my glove and was reaching down into the grass to retrieve a frame that had fallen (empty frame, no bees on it). The pain was immediate and intense when whatever it was (I didn't see what got me) either bit me or stung me on my middle finger. After a minute or two my whole hand was in throbbing pain and my heart started racing and I felt out of breath and nautious at the same time... at that point I would have called 9-1-1 if I had been somewhere where I could get a cell phone signal, but I was miles from the nearest cell phone signal. After walking back to my truck and sitting in the cab for a bit my heart rate slowed back down again and my nausea went away. So I decided to just go back home instead of straight to the hospital (home is on the way anyhow). On my finger there was just a single tiny red dot where whatever it was got me. The throbbing pain in my hand lasted about an hour. Now it's about 7 hours later and my finger is slightly swollen, blotchy red, and it kinda looks, lumpy like three ball bearings were inserted under my skin. I didn't go to the hospital because I figure they can't do anything for me without knowing what got me... which I didn't see and wasn't about to go searching for, lest it got me a second time.

Any ideas?

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Spider bite? Some spider bites can be very nasty. I don't think it's too late to go see your regular doctor. Ask them to squeeze you in. No matter what it is, I think you should be seen by a doctor. I hope you get better soon. Keep us updated.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

It's only slightly swollen now, but feels stiff. The bite or sting mark is now white and looks like it has a tiny blister and there is a red ring around it.

4. Charles

Charles New Member

Spider bite was my first thought too. Could have been brown recluse, if the swelling doesn't go down soon I would definitely see your doctor.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

With it being just one "tiny red dot" leads me to think of a sting instead of a bite, though not always the case. First thing I though of was a cow killer since I saw one yesterday.

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Now it's itchy... so very itchy. It's also still stiff and slightly swollen, apart from the itchiness it feels like I jammed it playing sports or something... and the knuckle is really swollen as if whatever poison there is from it is collecting there. The bite or sting mark which is probably a full centimeter up from the knuckle is also oozing clear pus now.

Yeah the lack of a second nearby spot also made me wonder if it's a sting...

If it's a spider bite, I'd be leaning toward black widow due to the heart rate thing and that the pain was immediate whereas a brown recluse bite isn't supposed to start hurting until a few hours later... but from pictures of other black widow bites there should be a second mark where the second fang would have also delivered venom. I don't know all the symtoms of velvet ant stings, I know they are supposed to hurt a lot, and this definately hurt far worse than any bee sting... so maybe that's what it was.

7. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

I wouldn't put much faith in not seeing the second bitemark. I had a rattlesnake punch a single hole in a boot one time that left a wet spot on my sock almost as big as the one near my beltline. They're suposed to leave two holes but I'm glad he didn't.
    Doctor time... You'll feel awful dumb if you find out it was something easy but that beats waking up dead tommorrow. Based on the thousands of black widows that I see lurking around the hives every year I'd say it's a good chance that's what got you and that isn't good. I don't think they've killed to many people but they've sure made some people miserable.

8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Whatever it is, you are having a pretty severe reaction. You might want to see a doctor so that you will know what got you. If it should happen again, you will be better prepared or at least know what to do.

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

At this point I'm farily convinced it was a black widow bite... nothing to worry too much about medically... but not too fun either.

The swelling in my finger is going down now, but now my whole arm feels stiff and sore. The pain just kinda comes and goes.

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Well I'm about over it now... there's only a slight soreness in my knuckle and slight itchyness at the bite mark now, and that's it.

Man, for such a small bite, that sucker packed a powerful punch.

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Glad to hear it did not turn into something bigger.

12. Charles

Charles New Member

I second the "glad to hear it". Those black widows are nasty little buggers!

13. the kid

the kid New Member

know some one got bit by a brown recluse ,,, for 6 months they were thinking about taking off his hand ,, nothing to fool around with . but thats just my penny talking

14. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yeah I had a friend that was bit by one of those too... right on his buttox... he couldn't sit for more than a month.

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've been bit twice buy brown recluse spiders, once on the right hip (he was in my wadders) the other time on the right thigh, i think it was in my inulated overalls. I didn't feel it either time when they bit me but like someone said it was a throbbing pain and the area around it turned black. Anyway that's what the doctor said it was :confused: . Jack