Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my new hives has black ants w/eggs on top of the inner cover. Every time I go to open it up to feed the hive, they are back again, even though I've dumped them all out away from the hive and crushed the eggs. I was thinking of spraying ant killer around the base of the hive, but feared that it might kill the bees. Anybody have any ideas?
TIA

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
figure out how they are getting up. Paint a thick line of Tanglefoot (link attached but many feed stores also carry it.). Make sure there isn't a path, and don't get this on your bee suit. Don't put on your landing board, just on the stand. What kind of stand do you have? I have tried cinnamon. I occasionally put ant block in a container that ants can get in and nothing else, to wipe out a particularly aggressive hill, but cinnamon didn't work well, and antblock is a pretty dangerous pesticide. Remember you're going to eat this honey. Find their trail, keep weeds trimmed and post a pic of your hive stand

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gypsi,
Thanks for your response. I appreciate your input. I've never had this problem before. They are black carpenter ants. I've even seen one attack a bee from behind! They only appear on top of the undercover. I have the hives on individual heavy plastic mats. Each hive is placed on top of concrete blocks. I may have a picture I can post later today. It is the hive on the end of the row, nearest the woods. I'll try the Tanglefoot. I was concerned about spraying any type of ant killer around the hive. I was afraid some of the mist might get into the hive and kill the bees.

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
definitely no ant killer, is there a rim on the plastic mat that you can coat the underside of so when the ants come off the blocks at any point, the entire underside of the rim is coated with tanglefoot?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the plastic pad is about 2" high, so that would be easy. I've already ordered some along with the paper tape. Should be coming soon. Thanks for the advice!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
you are welcome. Now - that stuff stains terribly on your bee suit but it is my best easy ant solution. I didn't use the paper tape, I just painted it on my pipe stand on the pipes all the way around them to either side of my hive. so no non-sticky path. Ants can walk on paper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you are welcome. Now - that stuff stains terribly on your bee suit but it is my best easy ant solution. I didn't use the paper tape, I just painted it on my pipe stand on the pipes all the way around them to either side of my hive. so no non-sticky path. Ants can walk on paper.
Right, but they won't be able to get past the sticky material, correct? Will it trap them like fly paper? I was hoping not to have to 'paint' it on the base.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you just have a few, the organic answer is cinnamon they hate it
Better is find the tree (they live in a dead one)
I don't love this answer and it took months to work... but I had a ton of ants.
In the grasses around potential trees, NOT IN OR NEAR HIVES Niban Nisus FG Granular Pest Control Insecticide Bait 4 LB Shaker, Clear

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
paint it on the plastic board, bottom side so bees don't light on it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
paint it on the plastic board, bottom side so bees don't light on it
I can paint the material on the raised edge of the plastic base. Like I said, it's about 2" high. Maybe I'll paint it onto the top of the base about an inch or so also. The hive is placed on two cinder blocks front and back, so the entrance to the hive is a good distance from the base itself.

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
on top of the base the bees may land on it. Watch their landing zone, don't paint the top of it, only below the base or on the cinderblocks below

1 - 11 of 11 Posts