Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
3,678 Posts
figure out how they are getting up. Paint a thick line of Tanglefoot (link attached but many feed stores also carry it.). Make sure there isn't a path, and don't get this on your bee suit. Don't put on your landing board, just on the stand. What kind of stand do you have? I have tried cinnamon. I occasionally put ant block in a container that ants can get in and nothing else, to wipe out a particularly aggressive hill, but cinnamon didn't work well, and antblock is a pretty dangerous pesticide. Remember you're going to eat this honey. Find their trail, keep weeds trimmed and post a pic of your hive stand

Reactions: MarkJP

·
Administrator
3,678 Posts
definitely no ant killer, is there a rim on the plastic mat that you can coat the underside of so when the ants come off the blocks at any point, the entire underside of the rim is coated with tanglefoot?

·
Administrator
3,678 Posts
you are welcome. Now - that stuff stains terribly on your bee suit but it is my best easy ant solution. I didn't use the paper tape, I just painted it on my pipe stand on the pipes all the way around them to either side of my hive. so no non-sticky path. Ants can walk on paper.

·
Administrator
3,678 Posts
on top of the base the bees may land on it. Watch their landing zone, don't paint the top of it, only below the base or on the cinderblocks below

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.