Black Beauties

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by riverbee, Jun 20, 2012.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

a few photographs of a queen from one of my nucleus hives made up in mid may from swarm cells from one of my strongest hives. sorry these pictures are a bit fuzzy, it was hot and humid, overcast, and i didn’t have my specs on to operate the camera well enough. these dark queens are absolutely a pain to find sometimes, absolutely beautiful and an absolute joy to admire. she is very calm on the comb and laying well. (click on the first 2 pics for a larger view).

the 3rd photo is kind of cool.

srbicqueen1.jpg srbicqueen2.jpg

srbicqueen3.jpg

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

Even fuzzy pictures can't hide her beauty:thumbsup:

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

They are hard to find on that dark comb, but she really stands out on new white comb though.

4. jb63

jb63 New Member

Nice pics river.I found a black queen in a swarm trap, went and got a marking pen and I could not catch her . She was too fast,or me too slow.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Riverbee, now you and I both have new black beauty queens! :)

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

They might be hard to spot but that floret pattern is classic tell tale. :thumbsup: Beautiful picture. :grin:

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thank you all for your kind comments.
    i will always be in awe of these magnificent insects. who else can understand or fully appreciate fuzzy photographs of a queen honey bee? or how you fumble around to get a quick photograph.....(or 2 or 3....or if the camera is set to 'just keep shooting' within 15 seconds when you can't see the screen or what you are taking a picture of) :grin:

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Yeah....find the queen, aim the camera and shoot 3 pix quickly....then she's gone....then find her again, aim, shoot 3 pix...gone again...find her again..... :lol:

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Wow! Beautiful queen!

Just think, back in the old days we had to take a photo and "wind the camera" so we could take another. Then we had to wait a few days/weeks to get them developed.

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

my cone-o-bees hive looks just like that, I have seen the queen just 2 times in 4 months:lol: Im glad the 2nd time I took pics, I now have 8 capped cells from this hive and plan to make nucs up on tuesday. very nice queen and pics btw River:thumbsup:

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Beautiful black bees and I think the pics are great.

12. BeeG

BeeG New Member

I have a black queen and a newer burnt motor oil queen. the oil colored queen her rump s very shiney black with red undertones, but her body has yellow fuzz like a young worker. She was impossble to find. I had to shake the whole hive to find her. It looks like I will be keeping darker bees because I just added two carnies .Some people in my area have been complaining about mean black bees. Mean as in chasing people and stining unprovolked. Mine are not what I would call mean. I guess I got lucky in the genetic mix of things. Mine can get testy in the durth but I mostly work my bees without gear on so my bees can not be too mean. the solid black hive can butt heads. but if you are not messing with them they leave you be, and they can boil out of the top of the hive pretty intimidating lol. that hive has become very strong and has put on honey all through this 100 plus degree durth. A little smoke makes them not so bad. The black queen had most likley superceded her mother in May . Because mom was not coal black, she was a striped yhellow in hyg, and I had a odd swarm at that time. And that hive went from my worse hive to matching one of my best hives. which are sisters to the dead and long gone min hyg mother who was such a poor queen m ost woulda squished her. funny the sister is red and the oil colored queen is a grandaughter to the black queen her daughter was a poor queen but was an emergency cell ( my experinment )which was replaced by my burnt oil queen which looks closer to your black beauty but she is more translucent . Dont ask for pictures LOL I am not going searching for her again.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey BeeG:

I see this is your first post so I would like to say WELCOME and glad you found us, and even gladder (is that a word?) that you have chosen to join in the conversation. :thumbsup:
    If you get a chance and feel like it, consider introducing yourself on the introduction thread, perhaps telling us a little about yourself.
    We are like a big extended family here (the kind you chose, not the ones you're stuck with at birth) :lol:
    Nobody bites (well,..............maybe tecumseh, but he doesn't mean to, just a habit we're trying to break him of!

14. BeeG

BeeG New Member

Hi perrybee.. Oh I snuck in another post or two that you missed. :) Do I have to stand up and introduce myself?

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Only if you want to. :wink: