Black Currant

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by rail, Jul 3, 2011.

1. rail

rail New Member

Has anyone grown black currants or other varieties of currants? I have an interest in growing some.

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

No experience at growing black currants, but their very healthy for you. Just made some black currant jelly a couple of weeks ago that is delicious.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Maybe you can find a forum on the topic?

Than again, it's amazing the variety of experience and knowledge the people of this forum have.

"Cast your bread upon the waters."

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I started 2 black currant bushes last spring along with 2 red and 2 white. Someone got the white currants with the weed whacker and one red up and died on me last summer when it got dry in late July. The blacks look great and I should get a small crop off them this year, enough for a batch of jam I hope. I got replacements for the ones I lost last year. I need to protect them better from a certain lady with a weed whacker :) I get all my berries from Indiana Berry mainly because they're in the same basic climate as I'm in so their stock isn't shocked by a severe climate difference.

5. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Rail,

A nursery I contacted said that you cannot legally obtain black currant bushes in the state of North Carolina and if I am not mistaken the South East. They carry or create a spore that attacks pine tree's.

I looked into them myself because they make some mighty fine wine! :drinks:

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

From what I've read, currants and gooseberries are so botanically similar that simply banning the cultivation of currants does nothing to stem white pine blister rust because gooseberries grow wild in so many places. If a nursery won't ship them to NC I will :)