Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone grown black currants or other varieties of currants? I have an interest in growing some.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Maybe you can find a forum on the topic?

Than again, it's amazing the variety of experience and knowledge the people of this forum have.

"Cast your bread upon the waters."

·
Registered
429 Posts
I started 2 black currant bushes last spring along with 2 red and 2 white. Someone got the white currants with the weed whacker and one red up and died on me last summer when it got dry in late July. The blacks look great and I should get a small crop off them this year, enough for a batch of jam I hope. I got replacements for the ones I lost last year. I need to protect them better from a certain lady with a weed whacker :) I get all my berries from Indiana Berry mainly because they're in the same basic climate as I'm in so their stock isn't shocked by a severe climate difference.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Rail,

A nursery I contacted said that you cannot legally obtain black currant bushes in the state of North Carolina and if I am not mistaken the South East. They carry or create a spore that attacks pine tree's.

I looked into them myself because they make some mighty fine wine! :drinks:

·
Registered
429 Posts
They have not been produced widely in the U.S. for many reasons. The major reason being a federal ban on plants as they thought white pine blister rust could be eliminated by eradication of the alternative host (currants). This was not the case and the federal ban was lifted. However, local bans are still in effect in some regional areas.
From what I've read, currants and gooseberries are so botanically similar that simply banning the cultivation of currants does nothing to stem white pine blister rust because gooseberries grow wild in so many places. If a nursery won't ship them to NC I will :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts