Blackberry Blooms

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by blueblood, May 6, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Had to share this view today. There is over an acre of blackberries adjacent to our property. I think they are a little early this year. The bees have to be in heaven with all of these blooms and a few acres of white clover next to it!
    blackberry patch.jpg

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

Wow, what a location for the bee yard.:thumbsup: Your happy bees will give you a great tasting honey.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My blackberries are in bloom also along with the dutch clover:thumbsup:. I don't see many bees working either of them, but the sky is full of bees flying south over the woods when i go to the beeyard? the blackberries and clover are 50 ft. to the north of the hives. You can plant things you know that bees love to work, but if they find something they like better you just wasted your time and money.:roll: Jack

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

My bees are heading straight for the timber. Not sure what they're finding but I don't really care as long as they find it.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I wonder...do they get propolis from green leaves and/or tree products? I see mine landing on green leaves around my hives all the time...

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Don't know about propolis, but i've seen them licking pollen off leaves. Yesterday while raking up hills for sweet potato's i would have as many as four bees on my arms licking sweat? don't know what they use that for.:grin: Jack

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

jack said:
    "Don't know about propolis, but i've seen them licking pollen off leaves."

propolis is gathered from the buds of trees, and sap. if you see bees on leaves they are most likely gathering 'honeydew', honeydew is secreted by other insects like aphids or scale insects, and collected by the bees.

dave, that field of blackberries is incredible! we have wild berry bushes here we call 'black caps', kind of a black raspberry. i am hoping that these do well this year, last couple years, we have not had enough moisture.