Blackcaps

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Ray, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray Member

It's a very good year for berries.[​IMG] An hour yesterday and an hour today, filled a 4.5 quart ice cream pail.
    Oh, an you folks that don't think that's a lot, haven't seen the size of my hands or feet[​IMG] or either, in a wild berry patch[​IMG]

Pies or Jam ? Decisions, Decisions.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Are blackcaps the same as blackberries? I made 3 1/2 pints of blackberry jelly today.

3. Ray

Ray Member

Asked my Dad, he said no. Didn't believe him and checked Wikipedia. Rats, the old man was right AGAIN. :)

Rubus occidentalis
    is a species of Rubus native to eastern North America. Its common name black raspberry is shared with the closely related western American species Rubus leucodermis. Other names occasionally used include wild black raspberry, black caps, black cap raspberry, thimbleberry,[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] and scotch cap.[SUP][3]

[/SUP]
    The black raspberry is also closely related to the red raspberries Rubus idaeus and Rubus strigosus, sharing the distinctively white underside of the leaves and fruit that readily detaches from the carpel, but differing in the ripe fruit being black, and in the stems being more prickly. The black fruit makes them look like blackberries, though this is only superficial, with the taste being unique and not like either the red raspberry or the blackberry.
    [SUP]
    [/SUP]
    The blackberry is an edible fruit produced by many species in the Rubus genus in the Rosaceae family, hybrids among these species within the Rubus subgenus, and hybrids between the Rubus and Idaeobatus subgenera. What distinguishes the blackberry from its raspberry relatives is whether the torus (receptacle) picks with the fruit, a blackberry, or remains on the plant when picked, leaving a hole in the fruit, a raspberry.

...... fruit is not a true berry; botanically it is termed an aggregate fruit, composed of small drupelets.[SUP]

[/SUP]
    [SUP] Thanks Wikipedia[/SUP]

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That sounds like what I have always called a dew berry. Looks like an over sized black berry, very different taste (not so bitter like blackberry), fruit detaches from the stem and, the leaves and vines look as though they have a whitish look to them. They do grow wild around here also.

5. WVMJ

WVMJ New Member

We just racked our black raspberry mead from last years berries this afternoon. I have one that is blackcaps and chocolate. I added some vanilla beans today to balance the chocolate a little bit. You are on a bee forum and want to make pies :) Our red raspberries are ripe this week, using them in a mead also, wife likes mead more than pies so its an easy decision. WVMJ

6. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

3rd batch in a row of blackberry mead brewing. The first for this season, as the others were made this winter, from frozen berries of last year. I just put it up in pt. canning jars and give it away when the occasion arises. We end up with about half for us... nice treat. There are blackcaps growing down the way at a neighbors. They are different and ripen about two weeks later, here. Love foraging :)

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Our thornless blackberry (Triple Crown) patch is just starting to ripen and it looks like the bees out done there selves.:thumbsup: Jack

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Okay, been thinking about this topic the last couple of days. For the last 5 seasons on this property, I have been picking what I believed to be good ole blackberries. My neighbor, who is in his late 70's and lived here for 40 years said they were black raspberries. I have seen black raspberries and they are more round versus elongated. And then, you guys speak of blackcaps, ha! Here are some pics that I just took for ya to look at. Ray, can you post some pics of your berries and the leaves?
    DSCF8937.jpg

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

10. Ray

Ray Member

Those sure look like blackcaps to me.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Looks like Rubus sanctus to me.
    Tuesday I went rafting on the Jordan River (as part of the activities of a family [children & grandchildren] three day get-together) and scraped along several clumps of them on the river banks. I found the leaves and thorns but there were no flowers nor fruit to enjoy.
    I guess we didn't schedule for the correct date. :lol:

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hi Ef, I have been thinking about you as of late. Hope all is well with you and yours. Yes, blackberries indeed. They aren't blackcaps. I have looked at raspberries since learning the difference and now understand why they call them caps. The middle is hollow like a cap. It is an easy way to identify them now. Blackberries take part of the stem with them and are solid. Those thorns are smart aren't they! Little scratches that can cause a lot of pain.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Hi Dave,
    Likewise---I've been trying to find the corrrect moment to make contact with you. So far we've been so busy that, considering our time offset, the proper moment hasn't come. You're on "chat" hours before or after me and the Skype timing is usually when, if I start a conversation, I'll wake my wife. With the summer vacation in full swing, we've been "over-filling" our hours with visiting and hosting family (can't have enough with them really).
    We'll make it yet. I've got a lot in info for you relative to our tour together---archeologists are always making new discoveries here.