Blacksmithing

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Monie, May 12, 2010.

1. Monie

Monie New Member

Anyone dabble with the art? I started this year, and I absolutely love it! Granted, I use a lot of charcoal and i get dirty, but I'm learning lots and really enjoying another aspect of being self sufficient.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would not call myself a blacksmith by any means, but have been known to beat a little metal into submission

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Anyone want to make me a whopping set of barn hinges? I rebuilt the doors on my old 1875 barn, but they are fastened shut because I can not find anyone to make me six 4-foot long iron strap & pintle hinges. Of course, shipping said hinges would be prohibitive.

4. Monie

Monie New Member

Are the doors so big that you need 4 foot straps? I'll see what I can do. :)

5. XLB

XLB New Member

that sounds like my dad!! :lol:

i've thought about trying the art to learn how to make homemade knives to sell, but never really made an effort to gather the equipment.

6. Monie

Monie New Member

Go to http://purgatoryironworks.com/ This is the only site I know of that actually teaches you the art of blacksmithing AND bladesmithing. There are a lot of really nice people willing to help. Plus, there are how to videos is you're willing to pay $10 a month.