bleaching wax

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by beehandler, Feb 15, 2010.

1. beehandler

beehandler New Member

what ratio of peroxide to water is a good mix ???

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have only read about the process but I seem to recall that it required about a cup of hydrogen peroxide to about 4 pounds of wax. the darker the wax (the more impurities) the more hydrogen peroxide you would add.

I also seem to recall it required fairly undiluted (like 98%) hydrogen peroxide... does anyone know where this may be obtained?

if you don't mind beehandler tell me how your little project progresses. I have some dark wax I would like to process in the same manner.

3. beehandler

beehandler New Member

well, first attempt didn't go so well........1/2 lb wax to a quart of peroxide, resulted in wax that had texture of a kitchen sponge,very fluffy and brittle. will reboil in water and see if it has lightened any... will keep posting results

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Please do. This could be interesting... Maybe some others will chime in with their experiences.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

did you use 'almost pure' hydrogen peroxide?

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I don't know if i would try it or not, maybe someone here knows? When we rendered lard we added soda to it to make it whiter, and if you put to much in, it would really foam up. Hog fat and beeswax are to different things and i've often wondered if it would work or if someone would get hurt. :confused: The only time i melt wax is to spoon it in the frame wedge to hold small strips of fondation for my comb honey supers, and it don't have to be white. Jack

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Jack:
    if I remember correctly (a larger problem as I grow older) the hydrogen peroxide would cause the same foaming. the idea was the darker the wax the more hydrogen peroxide you added.

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

The guy that I know who renders combs, slum gum and cappings uses oxolyc acid. I don't know how much he uses. I'll ask him and try to remember to get back to you on this.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I worked in a furniture refinishing shop at one time. After stripping the finish off and power washing we would use oxolyc acid to bleach the wood, especially if the stain was deep into the pores of the wood.
    It was in a powdered form (not sure of the strength) and we used a double handful to 3 1/2 gallons of water in a garden type sprayer.

did not mean to get off topic!

G3

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

doesn't sound off base to me at all G3. I got a nice box o oxalic that will have to come to some use besides gassing bees.

11. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I tried peroxide and didn't get any results.

12. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I think I found a good way to turn dark wax light... simply boiling it along with 2x the volume of distilled water, let cool, drain water, repeat 1 more time to get it nice and light. It won't turn it white, but it will take that dark wax and get it to look like the good stuff... if you had an RO filter, it would probably be cheap enough to do to make it worthwhile.

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Well, I tried that on my darkest wax, and it didn't work at all on that wax... strange that it worked on other wax but not that stuff. Back to the drawing board.