Blueberry Patch and Leaf Compost

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by blueblood, Apr 17, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Productive day today...bees are bringing in pollen in high gear and while they worked I got to some things I would have already completed had it not been for this new found love of bees. Planted a few perennials in the back to color up the bee yard area until my wild flowers start popping up. Blueberry patch received its mulch and my new garden spot received its leaf mulch. That mulch is good stuff! Some of the blueberries are blooming already. Laying down drip irrigation and plastic this week and hopefully planting in the next 2-3 weeks hopefully.
    0417121105.jpg 0417121123a.jpg 0417121539a.jpg 0417121539b.jpg 0417121809.jpg 0417121809a.jpg 0417121809c.jpg

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Looks great! I'm putting in a few dwarf blueberry bushes (Northblue and Northcountry) this spring and was wondering if you had any helpful tips for soil preparation, spacing, anything else?

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hi there Hobie, you did well first of all having two varities. It is helpful to have variety for cross pollination. I have 3 withe largest population being Duke. Mound the dirt before planting to assist with drainage and more consistent temperatures. Spacing is recommended on lable but I kept all mind at 3 feet in a grid. Keep moisture and warmth on roots using mulch which is good also for nutrients later as the mulch composts. Blueberries like higher ph levels so any afzelia fertilizer will do or blueberry specific product. Lastly, birds will eat every last berry. So, if you want a crop, bird netting is on the market and simple pvc pipe framing to support it over the bushes to keep birds out. Birds ate my entire crop in 2010 in less than a few days.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

I only have ten blueberries bushes, starting their 3rd year now. They are covered with flower buds at this point, and growing fast. Last year they tripled in size.
    Mine seem to like when I just put a 2" layer of peat moss mulch on them each Spring. It helps keep the soil at a ph they like. I'm not using any fertilizers on them aside from the mulch. I did dig in a soil amendment to correct the soil ph before i planted the bushes 3 yrs ago. (they were mere little twigs then).

Blueblood- I am envious of your mounds of wonderful leaf compost!
    How deep did you dig/loosen the soil where you planted your blueberries?

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

My bushes are 3 years planted also...moss is a good idea, might try that too. I have't had to use fertilizer myself as the ground has high enough ph. Omie, that leaf compost s free! County and city residents are allowed 2 bobcat loads/month from the street department. Good stuff! I can get away with a little more working for city government. Oh my, how deep? 12-14 inches maybe. It was the deepest setting on my tiller. Then I raked it up to mounds.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

i SEE IN YOUR 3RD PHOTO THERE'S ALREADY A HONEYBEE ENJOYING YOUR BLUE SALVIA/VERONICA/SAGE OR WHATEVER YOU CALL IT THERE. :D

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeap, Savia! I can't wait for my bees to enjoy the thousands of wild flowers that are going to pop up in that field...I planted several pounds of Indiana specific wild flowers three years ago. My favorite are the Sweet Williams, so many variations.

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Just stopped at the garden center and they have compressed bricks of "sphagnum peat moss" and smaller bags of "organic peat." What is the difference (besides volume) and is one better for blueberries? I am getting 4 plants, so I am assuming a 1 cu. ft block will suffice. (of course if I get too much, I can just add it next spring....)

Also... is Garden Store peat any better than Walmart peat?

Thanks for the tips - especially about the birds. I plan on planting along a fence so half of my netting cover will be in place already.