Bluebird Box Swarm Patrol on the Home Front and a Rainbow

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, May 22, 2013.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I am glad I am ocd about my hives checking them often, especially in the evening. I was sitting on my four wheeler admiring the yard when I saw something out of order. The bluebird box directly in front of my original 4 hives was fully covered with bees. I am so glad I have extra equipment on hand. Rode back to the shop and grabbed what I needed. I rocked the pole back and forth and then pulled it out. Shook the bees off in the deep. Presto, done! Fanning commenced quickly. And, as soon as I was done, I looked up and saw a beautiful rainbow. How about that ending? I went about the yard looking at the hives to see if I could tell where they came from. All looked normal. I suspect my hot hive with the 4 supers on it. It has been really full since early spring but I decided not to split them as I don't like messing with them. They were the only hive a few nights ago, 10pm, that had large numbers on the outside of the entrance and were buzzing pretty good. I don't know yet what clues to look for outwardly for signs of swarming, if any? I suppose it's possible this swarm came from outside my yard? The swarm was bigger than any of my recently caught swarms so it wasn't any of them. If you were wondering, the box was vacant between nesting times. I hope they all go for the box when they swarm in my yard because that was a ten minute job at most to take care of.
    DSCF8175.jpg DSCF8176.jpg DSCF8179.jpg DSCF8181.jpg DSCF8194.jpg DSCF8191.jpg DSCF8192.jpg DSCF8190.jpg
    [video=youtube;l9g64Lwwv_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9g64Lwwv_8[/video]

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

It don't get much better than that. :thumbsup:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now go into the hot hive and look on the bottom of the frames on the second box up. If you find a number of queen cells, you found the swarm hive. Remove the capped frames of honey from the upper boxes and take it home. It will be another 5 weeks before the new queen's young start to emerge. They don't need all that space.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Iddee! I appreciate the good advise. That makes sense. I checked the supers in that hive this morning. They were half finished with capping honey and I still have some capped brood from last week when I put the excluders back on. The very top box is pretty much only foundation though. I will remove it if I determine that was the hive the swarm came from.

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Nice swarm. Glad you caught it. I wouldn't have liked to loose a swarm like that from one of my hives.

Nice pictures of fanning and Nasanov gland exposure. :thumbsup:

Your nice clean boxes put my grubby lot to shame.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nice swarm catch for sure.

7. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Dave, you are on a roll with these swarms. It has been a learning experience for me from your detailed posts and photos / videos. Thanks.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Take advantage of the swarm's propensity to build quickly, worker-sized cells, and give them any unfinished frames you want to build.

9. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Another well played swarm catch, the rainbow is definitely an added bonus. Tom

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

awesome photos dave!
    "I suspect my hot hive with the 4 supers on it. It has been really full since early spring but I decided not to split them as I don't like messing with them. They were the only hive a few nights ago, 10pm, that had large numbers on the outside of the entrance and were buzzing pretty good. I don't know yet what clues to look for outwardly for signs of swarming, if any?

they were all talking amongst themselves about hitting that bluebird house in the morning........:lol:

11. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

Great pics. My bluebird box is on its family.