Blueblood's Adventure to Israel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blueblood, Jun 11, 2013.

1. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Thanks for keeping us posted ef. I know Dave may have trouble accessing the internet sometimes, and we are enjoying his trip vicariously through you.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Absolutely! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

DSCF8350.jpg DSCF8361.jpg
    Hi friends, long first day but enjoyed it greatly. The first pic is me at the bow of a boat taking us across the Galilee to the north shore. The second was my first siting in country of honey bees! Ef will have to identify this nectar source? I took the bee picture in the free zone of the Golan Heights. That was intense for me returing from the heights because we drove along a three country border of Israel, Jordan and Syria. And you will understand that if you have kept up with news as of late. The platform we were on is controlled/enforced by the UN. Again, Ef could explain better where I was. Migrating to a hotel in Jerusalem tomorrow morning where we will bed down for the remainder of the tour. I have so many more nice pics and stories to share but I must find my sleep rhytum. I is currently lost, ha!

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Well, at least now we know you're worth at least $5! :lol:

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Love the hat! :thumbsup:

You didn't try any of that walking on the water stuff did ya? :lol:

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Greg! I like my hats. It's a lost attire compliment anymore. No walking on water but we were all thinking it, ha! Just woke up to catch another beautiful sunset before heading over to Jersusalem region. Tune it late for more adventures. DSCF8441.jpg

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The flower is a species of Salvia. To make a definite species identification I'd have to see it more closely, including some leaves. The Golan Heights is an area with a lot of beekeepers (They stick around even when the UN "peacekeepers" get scared stiff and run home:rolling:). They get good yields, especially late in the summer. Top quality stuff.
    Dave didn't tell you that he tried the water but his feet couldn't stay on top---so he enjoyed sinking in. Considering the heat (his first day was a real hot one, since then it's cooled off) he appreciated being in, not on the water. :lol:

8. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Glad you made it over there safely. Have fun, learn lots, check in often. :thumbsup:

9. jb63

jb63 New Member

Hi Dave, is your sleep pattern reset yet?Great pics keep it up.

10. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

What, are they afraid of bees? Maybe the Palestinian children accidentally hit a few peacekeepers with their stones and the U.N. thought it was the bees getting after them...:)

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

DSCF8742.jpg securedownload.jpeg While I was taking photos of bees on top of Mount Gerizim, My lovely wife was taking care of my bees back home in the States. Bless her heart! I think I will make keep outta her yet.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The flower in the left picture is an Echinops sp. in the family Composittae. The flower in the right picture is a Bluebloodus sp.---very rare in Israel, presently represented by a single Bluebloodus davidi specimen of the family. :rolling:
    I spoke to Dave this afternoon, he seems to have picked up some sort of a sniffle (foreign pollen allergy?) but his spirits are extatic. He misses his family dearly but they made contact and it made him feel better in honor of Father's Day.
    Drinking from the spring water in Nablus (Shechem) exhilerated him. :drinks:
    ​He's really getting around and enjoying every minute of it. He even got to Jericho.

13. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Great pics Dave. Glad to hear you're having such a good trip. Thanks for thinking of us folks stuck back here at home by sharing your experiences.
    EF, seems like you're enjoying Daves trip as much as he is. :thumbsup: Can't wait to hear about and see pics of you two guys when you meet and spend some time together.

14. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Enjoying this trip / reports very much. Thanks and good luck.

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The big report should come tomorrow night (if I have any strength left) after Dave and I spend our day touring together. I have a lot of plans in mind, we'll have to see just how much of it works out.

16. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I hope y'all have a great day! :D

17. vermillion

vermillion New Member

I hope your visit is splendid! How exciting. I cant wait to hear how your day together was.

My daughter just arrived in Israel last night, her trip from Hawaii was apparently excruciating, but she is with her youth eco-tour group and then off to Jerusalem to volunteer at the zoo for ten days. Very exciting to read this thread!

18. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Vermillion, I feel her pain. It was long enough from Indiana. I am in Jerusalem at this very moment. It's pretty dern hot here today. Ef just dropped me off not too long ago. We started on the road to Hebron and the first stop was Rachel's Tomb. We crossed the green line (pre-1967) to the ancient road the Iraelites would have traveled to meet the Philistines. I viewed the mountains the Philistines crossed from the coast to amass in the valley of Elah where I stood. I smelled the dirt and collected smooth stoes from the river bed of Elah. All the while Ef pointed out the various Btanicals. We saw a honey bee and tasted one plant that was like anise. We visited an Aderet where it is a community of farmers who use sections of the same land. Don't let Ef fool you by hist mature age (I will let him tell you how mature :grin:), but he can climb very well! We were hoping to find some areas where pre-king David would have lived. Drove to a community where his daughter works but she was not working today. Took photos of an ancient road used for walking/mule route from Hebron to Jerusalem by forefathers such as Abraham and Isaac! Drove through the eastern city of Ezyon Block, a region south of Jerusalem and then to Herodium.
    ​Google Herodium because it is too difficult to explain it all in a nut shell but it is very fascinating. We the headed back to Jerusalems. We were stopped at an Israeli Road check point. I was a little nervous but

19. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ef took good care of me. The soldier asked Ef who I was. They dialogued in Hebrew and then we were off. Ef said the soldier asked who I was. Ef told him I was a tourist and could provide documents if he needed them. He let us pass. Whew, thanks Ef! Today will last in my memory for ever. Thanks for your hospitality and gifts. We traded h
    oney but he generously gave me spring and summer honey, alot of wax and a bottle of his mead!

20. blueblood

blueblood New Member

DSCF8840.jpgDSCF8848.jpg DSCF8849.jpg DSCF8852.jpg DSCF8862.jpg DSCF8864.jpg

Attached Files: