Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by darrenct83, Jun 23, 2011.

1. darrenct83

darrenct83 New Member

So i've done a lot of online research on getting my hive going. So far so good, but you only get so much out of short forum posts, youtube videos, and quick tutorials. Anyone have any good beekeeping book recommendations.

Looking for practical info. Although I am interested in the history and research behind beekeeping I am looking for something more to the point about the actual beekeeping process for right now. Something with a lot of good information about management, splitting, harvesting, etc...

Short and sweet is good, but not so basic I'm wasting my time.

Thanks

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

ABC & XYZ of beekeeping

Beekeeping for Dummies. "There's a new addition out or about to be released.

Bee Culture Magazine

American Bee Journal

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I really found Beekeeping for Dummies of great value. I had read a couple before that one, but Dummies brought it all together.

There is a web site, http://www.alibris.com/, that has used books in very good condition at a fraction of the original cost. That's where I picked up the ABC reference book.

Walt

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

ABC & XYZ of Beekeeping
    The Hive and The Honey Bee
    Beekeeping for Dummies - this would be my recommendation to start as well.
    If you get fascinated with swarms, Thomas Seeley's book Honeybee Democracy is a great read.

5. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I have "The beekeepers Handbook","Beekeeping for Dummies" and "ABC & XYZ of Beekeeping" books,and all 3 have been very helpful.

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

My first choices would be;

Beekeeping, a Practical Guide
    &
    HIVE Management

Both are by Richard E. Bonney

Another good one [ out of print ]

Practical Beekeeping

by Enoch Tompkins & Roger M. Griffith [Garden Way Pub. 11th printing 1984]

Hope I don't get in trouble for saying this on this forum;
    Use your public library, they have or can get books from other libraries thru inter-library loan, you have to ask them to do it.

Murrell

7. divkabee

divkabee New Member

I bought these 3 books before taking the plunge and found them all very helpful in different ways.

In order of most helpful:

The Backyard Beekeeper (Kim Flottum) 2005
    Beekeeping for Dummies (Howland Blackiston), 2nd ed. 2009
    Keeping Bees, A Complete Practical Guide (Paul Peacock) 2008

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Murrell, the only way you are going to get in trouble here is to quit coming. Then we will send the goon squad after you.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Don't make us come over there Murrel, ya hear? :club: :mrgreen: Keep posting ;)

10. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Just kinda checking the water :confused:

I was told by a monitor on another board, sometime back { no names, you all I'm sure would know him }
    " They did not need people being referred to public libraries, all the information they needed to know to be a beekeeper was avilaible on said board " :shock:

There is a lot of Good information on the inter-net boards,, however I believe there is just as much Bad information !!

Didn't mean to high jack the fellows thread.

And I ain't going no were, just going in and read a " Good " book ! :yahoo:

Murrell

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I was told a few things on other boards, too. That's why I hijacked Charles' board here and we are going to run it our way. Meaning, the members. If we can't help each other, we will refer them to where help is available.

12. darrenct83

darrenct83 New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Thanks for the library suggestion too. I was about to go spend money on a book I may only need to read once. That would have been my most expensive purchase yet! Considering all I am in to this project so far is some scrap materials and the gas money to go catch the bees! I'm curious to see how deep in to this hobby I can get before I have to start throwing cash in to it.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you have already passed that point :lol: It sure doesn't take long.

14. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I like the following:

Natural Beekeeping by Ross Conrad and it is readily available through Organic Gardening and Amazon and many other places.

Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping by Professor Emeritus Dewey M. Caron. This is his text book he used when teaching on the college level. I'm not sure if this is easily found. I bought this at our bee club's educational day. He was a guest lecturer. Being a text book, the info is presented in an easy to access format.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    Something with a lot of good information about management, splitting, harvesting, etc...

another snip..
    Considering all I am in to this project so far is some scrap materials and the gas money to go catch the bees! I'm curious to see how deep in to this hobby I can get before I have to start throwing cash in to it.

tecumseh:
    there is a lot of good information out there in books... I guess some of what books I might or might not suggest would be flavor by what YOUR interest in the bees might be... some books on the other hand are kind of basic knowledge (Wilson's Honey Bee Biology falls into this class of things).

as a hobby and most especially if you are handy with wood working tools bee keeping need not be that expensive an undertaking. at this level a lot of the basic materials can be scavenged. even at a modest level of participation as an enterprise it is not that expensive a thing to do and maintain (<this year given the drought here and my numbers and my mounting sugar bill I may need to rethink this assumption). I would guess that 'time' is the most precious resource required to be a bee keeper. perseverance over time does pays it little reward.

16. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I like ABC and XYZ too. Also Bee Culture magazine gets a thumbs up by me. I agree about the library. I think it's sorta lame to tell people not to go.

I've read a lot of these books when I was starting out and got confused by all the different things the authors said, so agree the library is a prudent idea. Less money out for books and more for beekeeping equipment!

Really, I wish I had a local beekeeper helping me out in the beginning. That would've been the best book of all.

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Murrell writes:
    There is a lot of Good information on the inter-net boards,, however I believe there is just as much Bad information !!

and then milapostol scribes:
    Really, I wish I had a local beekeeper helping me out in the beginning. That would've been the best book of all.

tecumseh:
    much like Murrell musing on the value of information on the net help from 'a' local bee keepers can go either way also. I do believe a bee club is a good means of getting to know local bee keepers and local knowledge specific to bee keeping. this at least give you a variety of information to consider.

our bee club also maintains a small library for the club's members.

18. Omie

Omie New Member

I've read a few BK books now, and I do like The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping (though I hate the title since I don't consider myself an idiot).
    Beekeeping For Dummies is a good basic book for beginners too, but I don't like the way they talk about treating as if it is just routine procedure Spring and Fall, like taking your vitamins. Just my personal preferences mind you.

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

This one may be hard to get (if at all), but in my early years I read and re-read it. It has a wealth of material, presented clearly and concisely. Plenty of diagrams, charts and pictures. It's a small, 122 page handbook. My copy is pretty worn out.
    Bees and Beekeeping by A.V. Pavord.
    # 12 in the Pet and Fancy Series
    published by Cassell, London.

20. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Bees and Beekeeping is available though Alibris in "fair" to "very good" condition in both the US and UK. Prices range from $7 to $29 plus shipping.

I'm going to follow both efmesch's and Omie's suggestions and get them both.

Walt