Books For New Keeps

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverbee, Apr 16, 2012.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

I see many new keeps to this great forum. Over the years my library has increased substantially, and many times I have folks ask me what book they might read on keeping bees when first starting out. Any reading about the nature and science of bees will serve to enhance your knowledge and skills. There are many books published geared to anyone new to beekeeping, so which one?

I would recommend subscribing to either or both of the bee journals, American Bee Journal or Bee Culture.

Hive and the Honey Bee=Dadant

The Beekeeper’s Handbook=Diana Sammataro and Alphonse Avitabile.
    This is an excellent book I recommend for new keeps.

Increase Essentials=Lawrence John Connor
    Anything published by Dr. Connor is excellent reading.

Honey Plants of North America=John H. Lovell

Anyone else like to jump in here, new or experienced like to share what they would recommend or would benefit a new keeper?

Btw you will most likely be given all sorts of books from your family and friends, including a new hive tool every year for Christmas…. anniversary, birthday, valentines…..
    :grin:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would include "Beekeeping for Dummies". While I have many books, including some of those you mention riverbee, a simple and basic book to start, B for D is as good as any.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

dont forget the abc xyz of beekeeping

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

riverrat get the prize here. abc xyz is essentially the bible of beekeeping. my 30 year old edition is just as useful today as it was 30 years ago. I have read it cover to cover more time than I care to mention. I still use it as a general reference fairly often. of course the more current editions would have more information on the current problems.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

yes riverrat, and you do get the prize on that one! my mentor called it the "beekeepers bible" too tecumseh. anything a keep wants to know about beekeeping is in that book.

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

The new version of Dadant's "First Lessons in Beekeeping" by Keith Delaplane. Good, solid, basic information. Updated to glossy pages and crisp photos. This version includes issues with SHB (so it's fairly up-to-date). It's not an "end all" book, but I think it's very good at laying out to a new beekeeper what to expect in his new hobby. Inexpensive book.

Also, though some of the info is dated...anything written by Richard Taylor. So far I've found copies of "Joy of Beekeeping" and "How To Do It"...both of them creased and soiled and not in great shape but they both read great! I especially enjoyed the former one...it let me glimpse a part of the "Golden Age" of beekeeping while sharing a bit of insight into the "spirit" of beekeeping. I love his writing style. He was apparently an exceptional man. :)

Ed

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

in the swamp writes:
    I love his writing style. He was apparently an exceptional man.

tecumseh:
    Richard Taylor writings should be enjoyable for a lot of folks and I often recommend his 'joy of beekeeping' to folks that want to know something about beekeeping but have no intention of being practicing bee keepers themselves. I also very much like Mr Taylor's writing style.

8. kemptville

kemptville New Member

There seems to be many variations of ABC and Xyz of Bee Culture online. Which is the most current? The 2010 edition (Green Cover)?

9. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Only in my second year, and only aspire to be a backyard beek for my own consumption. Like Perry, I like Beekeeping for Dummies, especially for the photos. Backed up by this forum it has given me 90% of the information I can handle at this time.

I can tell I will need more later, but right now, it's easy to make my eyes glaze over.

10. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

The latest edition would see to have the most updated information in them...SHB, AHB, CCD, etc.,. Whether the latest is the *best* is subjective, though. It seems that I've seen mention that an edition from the 30's is a good one for do-it-yourself equipment and getting things done during a time when folks didn't/couldn't mail-order every little item they needed. I'm not sure which is the most current...mine newest copy is the 41st edition published in 2007.