Bottling and Sealing Honey

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Slowmodem, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

My wife, bless her heart, is so supportive. She suggested that I put the honey jars in a vacuum canister attachment that we have for our food saver machine. I figured what the heck, it only takes a few seconds per jar, and it can't hurt.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried this and if there were any pros or cons? I assumed that less air in the jar would mean less possible moisture inside the jar?

This is what the canister that I put the jar into looks like. There is a small tube that runs from the canister to the food saver:

21SSWAWDV1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

2. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

My bet it will cause the honey to foam. This is due to the experience of others in adding a vacuum to resins when casting things. There is a lot of air in liquids at the molecular level and it is kept at that state my pressure. even air pressure. remove that pressure and the air forms bubbles.

At the very least test this idea on a small sample.

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Those canisters look expensive. I keep mine in canning/jelly jars without problems. You will need to make sure your moisture level is down around 17-18% so that the honey won't ferment.

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

Really dont see the need.

Honey wont spoil like other items you "can".... so no need

Also how do you fasten the lids inside the vacuum jar ?? < need a lid with a one way valve surely

5. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Actually regular canning jars will seal for the same reason they seal when removed from the pressure cooker. Things like muth jars plastic bears etc are another problem.
    I agree that there is no need though. Honey does not need a vacuum seal to be safe. It dos not need to be canned or sealed at all. Just bottle it, cap it clean of any sticky and slap on label if you prefer. ready to set in be as good as the day it was made for years. It may crystallize but that is easily fixed. Some people may fuss about it but they just need a better understanding of honey. Food of the God's is hard stuff to make bad.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

That makes sense....

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I put the lid on the jar and put the ring on but not too tight. Put the jar in the canister and then put the lid on the canister. Run the vacuum pump. When the vacuum is established, the vacuum pump stops. Then I let the jar sit for a few seconds. There is a vacuum breaker button on the lid of the canister next to the hose connection. When the vacuum pump stops, after a few seconds, push the button, let the air in. Remove the lid and remove the jar. Tighten the ring a little bit and the jar is vacuum sealed. Actually it is just like canning, but at a much lower pressure and temperature.

8. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I wonder if you could place the cork loosely on a muth jar and get the same effect. when the pressure returns it pushed the cork into the bottle.