Bottling tank - Excessive water??? fell onto honey

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by CentralPAGuy, Apr 2, 2010.

1. CentralPAGuy

CentralPAGuy New Member

Last night after I bottled a few jars of honey, I went and pulled the lid off of my bottling tank and there was all this condensation that was on bottom of the lid and when I pulled the lid off the tank, all this water fell like quick rain onto my honey.

I recently turned my temp up from about 60-70 degrees to 90 degrees and then to 125 degrees.

Where did this moisture come from. Was it in my honey? I didn't do a refractometer inspection. My honey doesn't taste spoiled and still tastes great. My thoughts are that the moisure will again rise to the top under the lid and I will try to allow the water to evaporate.

Was the moisure in the air -- my tank is about 80 percent empty. Any clues???

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm not positive, but I would guess it was in the air. They say you should not let your car's gas tank get too empty in colder weather for the same reason, and you end up with water in the fuel.

I think you are right and it will condense out again if the lid is cooler. Now you know and can tip the lid so it drips off elsewhere.

3. CentralPAGuy

CentralPAGuy New Member

Thanks. It makes sense and I will tip the lid so that it drips outside the tank.

4. CentralPAGuy

CentralPAGuy New Member

This morning, I removed the lid and there was so much water on the bottom of the lid that when I tipped it, it ran outside the Bottling tank and when I got home tonight, I then checked, the amount of moisure on the lid was alot less 10 hours later.