Bottoms and Tops

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Bens-Bees, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Is there any particular reason to use 3/4" plywood on the top cover and bottom board instead of 1/2" plywood?

It just kinda seems like overkill to me, and at $10 less expensive per 4x8 sheet, and much much lighter, I'm having a hard time justifying going any larger than 1/2".

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

1/4 inch on top. I use 1X6 or 1X8 scrap for bottom boards.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

only 1/4 inch? That seems too thin to me... like it would warp easily and not hold up well to the weight of hives stacked on top of it.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think you misunderstood me. 1/4 inch plywood on the telescoping outer cover. 1/4 inch plywood for the inner cover. If you are using migratory covers, ignore the above.

Finished 1X6 or 1X8 lumber, which is 3/4 inch thick, for the bottom board, running width wise.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I will be using migratory covers... so... any recommendation on the thickness of them? Right now I'm thinking 1/2" is enough.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

1/2" plywood will warp some. 5/8" almost never. I think it is has something to do with the number of plies.

if your winters are not severe or your summers are not extremely hot even extremely thin plywood will work, but as suggest the thin stuff does have a tendency to warp.

I now build a universal top and bottom for my own use that almost fully utilizes a single sheet of plywood.

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I decided to just use 3/4", and I'll re-purpose the 1/2" stuff for the little lip around the hive the lifts it up enough to create an entrance on pallets.