bought a hive unseen

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by reidi_tim, May 12, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Last Sunday at the clubs bee clinic I met a gal that had a hive for sale, she had bought it wanting to get into beek, but showing dogs took up most of her time. I asked her what type it was and she had no clue, so I asked what she wanted for it and she said $50. Hmm. yes I told her I would take it. She lives 30 miles from here and I asked one of my guys who lives a few miles from her if he would pick it up for me. He didn't have a problem with that ( one of the few times being in management has a bonus perk, it mostly has deep down falls ) So he asked me what he was picking up and if he needed his truck to get it or would it fit in his car.. I told him I was clueless:confused:, gave him $60 , $50 for her and $10 for his tank. So he made a big joke about how I spend $200,000 - $300,000 on machines for the shop every year. I had to let him know that the bar tabs from the salesmen taking me out are well over $200 ( salesman= whatever it takes to get that commission check ) So here is where my problem starts...... hive5.jpg
    I drag this " rag " hive home and the boss lady see's it and her thoughts are that it would make a good lawn decoration :duel:and I think with a little tlc and paint it will make a great 8 frame garden hive. So I'm thinking that I will go with all shallows on this one and use three shallows for the brood chambers and or if I have enough time before I get another swarm make two deeps.

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Did it come with bees?

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

Bees or not he got a great deal on it, that hives goes for 180 at bee supplys, called a graden hive kit.

kebee

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Rag hive"??????

Geez, if you don't want that garden hive, I'll take it. Those cost more than a normal hive, copper top and all! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
    Good score.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

6. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

No bees and Perry I'm fighting with the wife:box: on what to do with this hive, it would have been better if it was a " wife unseen hive " Since she has been pouting all day:cry: it looks like I'm gonna have to give in and let her have the hive. It's just not worth the effort for $50 :wink:, but will have to see if it accidentally finds a swarm of bees. This is to funny wife just showed to me quote for the day " synonym (noun) a word used in place of the word you can't spell ":rolling:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

nice cover on that baby. I think the lid on those 'garden hives' cost almost $50???

8. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

with a little love in your hive

I have finished the work on the garden hive. :smile: Who ever put it together the first did not use glue, so I pulled all the nails out and put it back together using glue, and did some replacement of wood on the bottom board that were rotten. The frames where also not glued but it looked like I would destroy them if I tried to take apart, so I watered down some tite bond 3 and put in a syrinage and glued the joints as best as possible. A couple of coats of paint and the " rag hive " is ready to become a lawn decoration for my wife:roll:. I really hope that a colony of bees doesn't move into this hive :wink: so it can be used for it's intended purpose.
    hive6.jpg

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

that would be extremely sad to see some unwanted guest in that nice little house you have set out their in your garden? very sad! :wink:

10. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

You might want to put a few drops of lemongrass oil around the entrance and internally to "deter" unwanted guests! :thumbsup:

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Pretty slick looking! Good job! :)

12. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I have gotten several swarm calls but my employer does think I'm being productive when I'm not at work, like when I'm vacation at the doctor or what ever go figure:confused:. But I'm sure I'll be able to get out to one and accidently hive them in the wrong box. I can always use the excuse that my memory is failing because of all the pain meds I take. Lesson for the day: your wife does not think is one bit funny when you wake up and look at her and ask " who are you and what are you doing in my bed ? " It ended in a near death experience for me, but her first reaction was priceless:rolling::rolling: