box arrangement question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Omie, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

I have one hive that seems ok but a little light. I don't want to feed it (too late anyway for syrup here), but I have a question on whether to switch the deeps on it-

It's two deeps, 10 frames each. The top deep seems to have most of the honey stored and lots of bee action going on. It's heavy and has lots of bees. The bottom deep I did not disturb by going through to inspect any frames, but when I lifted it's lightweight- about 1/3 the weight of the top deep.

Should I reverse them going in to winter? Or should I leave the heavy box on top the way it is now? My impulse would be to leave them as is, but I'd like other thoughts.

2. rast

rast New Member

Leave as is. I know that you know that bees would rather move up to get to their stores than down and heat rises. Only question in my mind is how empty is that bottom box. Is it wasted space for them to try to keep warm?
    Oh yeah, I saw on the news this morn where some around you used the "S" word. Thought of you immediately :( .

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ditto what Rast said.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would not bother at this time of year primarily to maintain the 'seals' between box and box and box and bottom.

just casually I would think candy boards would be my feeder of choice at this time year in your kind of location.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Thanks my friends. Didn't want to reverse the boxes, but good to have confirmation from wiser souls. :)
    Won't be feeding them anything...practicing 'tough love' this winter. I will be stapling a sheet of tarpaper around each hive though, just to cut the wind and the black can absorb any sun heat to be had this winter.
    The 'S' word....my my, yes we had 2 1/2 inches last night! Pulled my mukluks out to wear this morning. But it almost all melted by midday today in the sun. But... tomorrow night they are predicting another 4-8 inches..... what the HECK???? Not even halloween yet! Maybe I should make myself a snowplow costume for halloween. Hmmm....better get my mouse guards on....lol!
    Lows predicted for the next five nights are 28F, 29, 27, 27, and 29F.... =8-{ Guess that's it for the Fall flow, huh?
    Brrrrrrrrr!!!!

6. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Snow? Already!? Brrrr! Keep warm and enjoy all the wonderful, cold weather activities. ;)

7. rast

rast New Member

"mukluks". Sounds like a tire for a mud truck :D .

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Well we got about 10" of snow last night. =8-o
    But....it was very wet heavy snow, and the sun was brilliant today and melted most of it down to only about 3 inches, and all of it melted off the trees pretty much already. Lots of tree limbs down everywhere, power went out during the night a few times, but we seem ok now.
    My older daughter over in MA is still without power though.
    It was quite something! A real record breaker.

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

its spose to get into the....50s here sometime this week...well at night anyways...i think me n rast will be breaken out our mukluks soon too (hey rast....whats a mukluk...besides a truck tire)