box consolidation for winter

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by herblover, Sep 18, 2011.

1. herblover

herblover New Member

I placed a deep over 3 full mediums in July, thinking they would fill it up. I thought wrong. Now there are 4 partial frames of capped brood in the center 4 frames and empty undrawn foundation frames on either side. Can I make sure queen is not on these and exclude her to the bottom boxes, the new brood will hatch and hopefully go back to the bottom so I can remove the deep on top for winter? Also I have a top feeder on for now. Thank you for any advise.

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Sounds good to me, but I'm no expert. I'd just add that you should remove the top deep right after the brood has emerged, otherwise they might start filling that comb with nectar ...you want them to put all their nectar and pollen from now on down into the boxes they are going to be in for winter.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

If it is a strong hive and the 3 med. supers are full, (of honey) i would put the deep on the bottom. They will move up in the stores for winter when they need it.The key words here is (strong hive), and no excluder. Just my two cents worth. :mrgreen: Jack

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if you nectar flow is winding down a feeder on top plus feed may be promoting the brood rearing at the top of the stack. I would likely just shake or brush the bees off the frames (ie drive bees and queen downward), place on an excluder and wait until the brood has hatched. down the road two week or so you can likely safely remove this extra box.

5. herblover

herblover New Member

thank you for the advice everyone. It is a great comfort to gather input from you all and not always learn the hard way. This forum is such a valuable resource!