1. Cape Fear Bees

Cape Fear Bees New Member

Any links or info ya'll have on efficiently building box joints would be appreceated. Been using buts and rabbets for way too long, Commercial fellas say it isn;t going to hold up. Opinions to that end would be appreceated also.

2. rast

rast New Member

The only way I know is a dado blade and a box joint jig with long enough locating pins to cut several sides in one pass. Jig needs to be accurate.

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

You can goggle box joint jig to find one that will work for you.

To keep the hives square I have 6x6 sq blocks I clamp in the top corner that keeps them square, well maybe square isn't the right word more like true 90 corners.

Hard wood rails that run in the saws miter slots to keep the sled true.

[​IMG]

The rails will shrink and swell depending on the humidity.Try to not use it on rainny days and you wll be OK. I also waxed them good too.

I got some old 8 frame boxes out back I'll try to get measured for you. Just remembered them last night .

:mrgreen: Al

Top view
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:mrgreen: Al

4. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

who told you rabbit joints wont hold up must throw the boxes off a back of a truck. I been useing some of my boxes for over 25 yrs. if your a commercial and if you get 5 yrs on a box you got your money out of them. but take care they will last.only miss handling will break them up. box joints have more surface exposed to rot. my 2 cents
    Don