Boxing Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Dec 26, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It has just been brought to my attention (from another thread) that you folks down south of the 49th, don't have a holiday on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas) :( . Up here we are all enjoying a great 4 day weekend! :yahoo:

Any of ya'll down there wanting to enjoy some extra time off from work should think seriously about movin on up to the Tundra.
    Where else can you hope to find beautiful scenery like this AND have an extra day off work?
    P.S. bring a shovel. :mrgreen:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hey, ANYBODY can deal with warm, sunny weather, it's takes a special kind of folk like falconer, afss, Marbees, Adam Foster Collins, et all, to hack this kind of weather, AND keep bees!

Who's up to the challenge? Extra day off for those willing to try! :mrgreen:

2. jb63

jb63 New Member

My family and I are going up to Mt. Hood to play in the snow today.Looks like you don't have to go any where to play in the snow.Nice pics.

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Why is it called Boxing Day? Is that when you box up all the loot you got on Xmas Day?

In the States we have Boxing Day, or maybe that's Mace Day, the day after our Thanksgiving when all the Big Box Stores let people run rampant thru the isles Boxing w/ each other over something they coulda bought easily w/out competition the week before.

4. Synth

Synth New Member

We get a four day weekend in Australia too; but no snow.

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

:lol: :lol:
    That would be my definition of Boxing Day too.

Great pictures Perry, can't wait for nice snow fall down here. For Christmas I got nice HD (250lb) YUKON aluminum snow shoes, so I can go to check my bees all winter long :Dancing:

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Snow shoes come in HD, High Definition, too? I often wonder about what HD Radio means. Now I get to wonder about HD snowshoes too. :) heh, heh

wikipedia, the authority above all authorities, heh, heh, says that Boxing Day originated in England as a day after Christmas when wealthy persons gave a box of items to their Servants, to paraphrase what I read.

It has become a day after Xmas Holiday in many, if not most, Commonwealth Countries. In some countries it has been renamed. Two being South Africa and Ireland. In some countries it is a Federally Mandated Holiday w/ folks getting a day off w/ pay. A Bank Holiday also.

As time marches on and knowledge of origins fade, I imagine it will become as I wrote earlier, a day when the loot received at Xmas is Boxed up and stored away.

Happy Boxing Day, on this second day of Kwanza.

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Sqkcrk has it right, servants worked Christmas, so they were given the next day off ,and a small gift was also part of the tradition.

Today in South Africa you still give a "Christmas box" to the trash collectors and the postman.

We still celebrate it with friends here, oyster roast yesterday , and a specially brewed smoked porter to go with it.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Boxing day???, i thought it ment boxing up some of the things you got for Christmas and taking back to exchange. :lol: When i was a kid i loved to play in the snow and couldn't wait till it snowed. Now that i'm older and smarter :mrgreen: i dread wading through snow, feeding and checking livestock, chopping ice, breaking a path in the road to town,ect. I think i could live the rest of my life without ever seeing another snow flake, and make it just fine. I think the bees would be with me on this also. :mrgreen: Jack

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Man, I always miss the best parties.

For some, boxing day is the day after Christmas when you take the boxes that the big presents came in and use them for sleds. :)