Boy scout badge

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Nov 18, 2011.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Someone the other day said they brought back the boyscout beekeeping badge. I know they had a petition and an effort in the [ast couple years. But I was not aware that anything was reinstated.

Is this true? Is there an actual boy scout beekeeping badge once again?

Thank you.

2. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Some beekeepers in my local club announced they had been helping a troop work on the Beekeeping Merit badge but it is not been officially reinstated according to the local BSA council office. I was told if the local BSA service center stll has Beekeeping merit badges avaialble, the scouts in that area can still be awarded them as long as they last. Since the badge was removed in 1995 because of lack of interest, I doubt very many badges are left anywhere.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

I am working with our troop to do the work needed. I have about 6 boys solidly interested and as many leaders / parents as well. Badges do exist ( I found one in only two days) , and could also easily be made, getting a person to sign it off is the challenge but working with our council to try something, as we have a formal statewide program of Master Beekeepers, I am hoping they will accept one of them as a examiner.

As an example , the rabbit keeping badge was stopped many years ago, but is still awarded,

The official statement is that it will not be reinstated as a stand alone badge, but parts of it "could" be added to other environmental badges.

I am rewriting the manual at present , as the last version from 1983 is hopelessly out of date on Meds and disease. As the only copy I could get was a very poor PDF, scanning OCR did not work too well, so am having to rewrite 90%.

I would be happy to share when done, just pm me.

I would be happy share my other materials with anyone wanting to try get a program working in their scout troop.

4. Tia

Tia New Member

As you may or may not know, I've been working with the Boy Scouts in Blounts Creek, NC. Through many generous donations from beekeeping suppliers, we have set up a two-hive apiary at the Eco Park there. This all sprung up out of my efforts to get the beekeeping badge reinstated. I am told that it will not be reinstated, but as Zulu said, they plan on combining it with other interests into an "eco/insect study" badge. There are still beekeeping badges out there, however. The boy scout leaders with whom I work awarded me with one! I have it framed in my office.

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

As I am subscribed to this I am keeping track.

I have been busy designing a blog to run our program, I aim to attach all the lessons, keep track of members and our progress. We sadly lost our location at the church (mostly due to ignorance and pride) , but the farm across from my home has offered space, and it will be a bit easier for me anyway.

If anyone wants to follow along, send me a PM with your email address, and I will add you to the followers of the blog.

I have had little time to continue the booklet at present, but as I am 65% done will continue soon.

I too have an original Bee Keepers Merit badge, and have a plan to get more, but more importantly I need a local commissioner to agree to let us go ahead to award the boys if they complete the work. The rabbit keeping badge was also discontinued but they still award it most years.

Our first workshop and lesson day is January 14

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You have my email. Why am I not on it already?

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

You will be :D , .... still under construction :drinks: ...... look for a link tomorrow.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Tomorrow is here. I got the link already.

9. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

Go ahead and add me in.

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

Bringing this back to the top.

Our blog is up and will be open till end December , after that only those that have the link will see it, because we are dealing with kids.
    Anyone who wants to help remotely or follow along, please sign up on email following.
    Of course any equipment help is also appreciated :D , so far I have one hive with supers donated from Triad Bee Supply, a smoker from Iddee, some hive tools, and som left over meds and small tools from a member who dropped out.
    I have three mentors from local club.
    Have sent letters to the local suppliers too.

Www.scoutbee107.blogspot.com

4 boys so far, two adults, this in only 24 hours.

The Boy Scout Merit Badge book is in proof reading , and will be added as Lesson Tabs to this blog.

As I commited originally , when the book is done I will happily share it with any other group wanting to work with Scouts or other youth programs.

One of our Scout commissioners is taking this up at local council level too.

Any ideas are welcome, as are comments on the blog too.

11. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Great blog. Would love to see the book when completed.

12. Zulu

Zulu Member

Happy to share it with anyone, almost there, few more edits and I have to get it down to 50 pages total, need to shrink 4pages for the printer...