Boy Scout Beekeeping Booklet

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Zulu, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

So a number of months of work has finally come to fruition,

I took the last version of the Scouting Booklet published in 1983 , and used it as a basis for a revised edition.

Obviously many many things have changed, I had to completely rewrite the pests and disease sections, had to add in Africanised bees, also changed many terminology items.
    While I thought I could just replicate the old book, I ended up rewriting about 90% - but used the same format and concept.

I drew on the vast knowledge of my bee books, my lessons, the internet and my mentors to get it right.

View attachment 4242

The Book is 52 pages all color

Covers what the Beekeeping Merit Badge requirements were, Bee basics, woodenware, seasonal work, honey extraction, disease, pests, and Africanised Bees (White Paper by James D Ellis and Amanda Ellis)
    It has Comprehensive glossary
    Big list of Internet Links, including this site :thumbsup:

It is purely by chance that the centerfold is all about extraction and has lots of pictures, so presents well to people who handle the booklet

photo(1).JPG
    This also gives you an idea on the quality....

Anyone wanting to work with kids is welcome to a copy , I just want cover the shipping costs. so PM me if interested. If I can punt this , it is a great beginners book too.

I funded this myself for now and printed about 25 extra copies but i am working hard on trying to get the printing costs covered at present.

Work on the table now (50% done), a working form for each boy in my beekeeping program, and a mini questionnaire for us to see if they have indeed done some studying. My aim is for each one to complete the original Merit Badge requirements.

2. guyross2

guyross2 New Member

I couldn't download the attachment. How is the war on SHB?

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

It was another pic, not sure why it did not display. On iPad now , but will update it in morning.

SHB under some control on most hives, but lost one hive to them just recently, as I did not notice I must have Lost the queen some time back and they slimed it out. It was a very busy hive 2 months back, but I'm guessing they swarmed and the new queen did no take.

The others all seem to be fine, occasionally see them but no outbreaks. The ground under the hives have been limed and spread with wood ash And my traps are not yet in the hives, will add as the dearth hits.

4. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Are your hives in shade? Mine are in shade, so I worry about SHB. Only get about 2 hrs of sun per day. When I first installed the package, I would see a couple SHB here and there. Since they have gotten strong, I haven't seen any at all during last few inspections. Beetle jails have been empty, also. *fingers crossed*

5. guyross2

guyross2 New Member

Most of mine are in sun most of the day. I haven't had a hive slimmed yet. Sorry I got off topic. The Boy Scout book rewrite is great. When was the one you used published?

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

Last print was 1983..... I found a poor PDF copy online and worked from there.

As for my hives , sun till about 1pm , then shade in afternoons, too many big trees

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Posted off all the books that people PM'ed me for. Sorry for delay, been a crazy few days prepping for my trip to Europe.

Sitting with a German Pils catching up with bees right now.

Still have a few books if any one interested , sorry I still haven't managed to get some decent pics up, will have to wait till I get back to USA.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Congratulations on your initiative in doing the Boy Scout's manual for beekeeping. When I was a young boy (around 12, in the early 1950's) I remember hearing about the Boy Scout Beekeeping merit badge. Never looked at the booklet---never thought, at the time, that I would EVER have anything to do with bees.
    Just goes to show ya---one never knows what the future holds for us.

9. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I received my copy today. It is great!

Wow! Page 1 and I've already learned something...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  10. Zulu

Zulu Member

Next lot of books have been sent....

I am also almost finished the work sheet to go with this book, so if you intend to work with Scouts or other kids it will be a bonus add on. Will send a copy to all who bought books.

It will help define a nice course of action to ensure a beekeeper knows enough to start out.

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

Any feedback for those who have the books ?

Any others who might want to work with kids and have a copy?? I have a few left

12. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Very well done and informative. It covers everything anyone needs to know about beekeeping. It will be a very good reference book for all my beekeeping career. The Boy Scouts owe you big time. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is obvious you put a lot of work in to it.

13. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I am very happy with the book! It has more information than the book I got with my beginner beekeeping class!

14. guyross2

guyross2 New Member

Zulu if you have any left I want one. Shoot me an Email to guyross2@gmail.com.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

15. kebee

kebee Active Member

16. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

No truer words were ever spoken!