Boy Scout Project and our vendors

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zulu, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

Some of you might have read about my Boy Scout Beekeeping Project, and of course I have been out there begging for kit.

I chose to only approach the 5 suppliers that I had spent money with, and obviously started locally.

Triad Beekeeping Supplies , who manufacture great Cypress and Pine hives, donated a full 8 frame hive, plus 3 supers with frames. They also provided some entrance feeders.
    Thank you John and Keith.

Brushy Mountain Bee Farm , also came through. They have donated a 10 frame hive and two supers with all frames and foundation,plus 6 basic hatless veils.
    Thanks Candy

Then some local club members, also stepped up and we have a smoker, some hive tools, a few leftover Meds from a member who lost the battle with SHB as he did not have enough sun. ( not sure if tey want to be named here)

We start with 7 boys and 4 adults next weekend , assembling the woodenware and the first basic lesson on Bee biology. 11 committed scouts from 15 who showed interest, so far. If I convert even three to be beekeepers long term, the project will be successful.

Two members here, and one other from our club have volunteered to be mentors for this project and to help me wrangle bees :D

Of course I have no shame to still ask for additional equipment help..... Hint hint. :beg: If anyone has extra anything, I'll take it. Pls pm me.

See the blog here: http://scoutbee107.blogspot.com/

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well done Zulu :thumbsup: :goodpost:

The time and effort you are spending here will pay dividends far greater down the road, for the kids, and given I am a big believer in Karma, for you as well.

3. ski

ski New Member

Any updates?

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

way to go Zulu you rock. Keep up the good work

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

Update indeed Ski ( been working the swim meet all morning)

Yesterday we had our first workshop day and also studied "equipment". Iddee and Jacobs helped as mentors, and two parents, and three Scouters also were involved. A fantastic turnout.

Two vendors sponsored a hive each, Triad Bee Supply from trinity NC, supplied an 8 frame , 3x supers plus rest of the hive, with 50 frames,
    And Brushy Mountain Bee Farm from Moravian Falls NC supplied a 10 frame hive, one deep and two supers with all frames, foundation and 6 veils.

The boys were divided up into teams yesterday and we had teams of two assembling boxes in my jig, or frames in the 10 frame jig, nailing , sanding and finally painting. All 6 boxes were glued and nailed, sanded and finally painted, using Lowes miss-tint paint off the cheap shelf ($5 / gallon).
    The boys also built 20 frames.

Pictures to follow soon.

I also got the news today that Larry Tate from Tate's Apiaries in Winston Salem, has donated our first bees too, Larry was a Scout when younger and offered to help us too.
    THANKS Larry and Janice.

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I don't know the ins and outs of it or the legalities, but have you considered putting a pay pal donate button on your blog page? Would that help your efforts?

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Greg thanks for the idea, but not sure Scouts would be ok. I will ask though and I do have PayPal myself.

So far we are coping with local generosity, and I want to acknowledge each an every helper/ donor No matter what, unless they wish to remain silent.

If anyone wants to help us , PM me directly ..... But other than a second pkg/nuc/swarm of bees we have enough to start with.

Medication, feed and more veils will be needed later.

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip from the link..
    Another oversight was 11-13 year old boys with paint brushes....... yep paint everywhere......

tecumseh:
    this is a rule that must also apply to bee keeper very much older than 11-13. all my work pants seem to collect a bit of paint here and there... well truthfully almost everywhere.

good work... it is this kind of thing that makes a real difference in young folks lives. the downside of getting young folks comfortable with bees at this age is a bit later in life they will be totally unafraid of almost anything.

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

Well we continue to have success ... Two members have become Beekeepers (almost), one family all did the Guilford County Beekeepers beginners program, dad, son and daughter, ordered hives and bees. Have been at each of my workdays so far.

Another scout leader has his hive ordered, and bee suit arrived too. His teenage son just got his Eagle award this week.

Another scout leader with two sons in my program , asked about driving down to our local supplier ( they are supporters of my project) Triad Bee Supply, to get his 2 hive's woodenware.

So far each work day has been very well attended , and am impressed how the boys have got into the work.

This weekend we will do our last workshop day of this winter, hopefully get to open one of my hives for them to see spring build up and we will work the location site of the hives on the farm. Weather is looking promising right now. I will also put up a swarm trap with them as we know there are some feral bees around.

Lastly, I have also found a publisher for my Scout Beekeeping book, just need to get proofs finished.

Project is looking very positive.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well done Zulu. Your generousity with your time and talent now will pay dividends to society in the future. :thumbsup:

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I some how missed this thread. Good job Zulu, you are giving those kids a good chance to see and do things that will make a good memory if they don't stay in it.

13. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Great work. I hope after I have this season under my belt I may beable to approach the local troop to maybe do an intro or even have them host a hive. I am about 1 mile from Pouch Camp. The only Scout Camp in NYC over 140 acres. If all is good this year I figure I can approach them and see if they would like to host some hives and maybe start a program with some of the troops.

14. Zulu

Zulu Member

I might add that two of our members are mentoring the scouts with me...
    Iddee and Jacobs

Thanks for all the help

The boys certainly wont forget Iddee with a bee stinger sticking out the point o his finger to show them how it pulses..... Only Iddee :)