Boy Scouts and Bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zulu, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

I have been busy drumming up interest in my son's Troop - 107 Old North State Council.

Local Bee Keeping mentors have offered assistance and donations of both equipment and bees. We have an Eight Frame Hive, a 10 frame hive, a smoker, two hive tools, some entrance feeders and some extra woodenware and frames to come.

On Saturday , we held an information session at my hives , we had 7 boy participate , mostly younger ones and all their parents and two leaders without their boys.

Iddee and Jacobs both helped me, we had a perfect afternoon too. We went into one hive only and the fed all the hives at the end. I suited up to show all the protection equipment, while Iddee and Jacobs both went natural, as the hive we were in is very gentle. [​IMG]

We showed the boys the insides of a hive, pulled Honey frames, pollen frames , brood eggs and Larvae etc.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I also had all my extra equipment on display and Iddee gave a demo of a sting to show what a sting looks like too. [​IMG]

I also went through the use of Benadryl and EpiPen if stung and why and most importantly WHEN to use - after calling 911.

[​IMG]

Great feedback from all who came and I think we may get some new parents as beekeepers.

My next issue is the final permission to place the hives at the Church.

2. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Thats pretty awesome of you guys. I was harvesting a few frames this morning and my neighbor stopped by and got a taste of honey that was made right next door to his house. He didn't know I had a hive but was really interested and asked a lot of questions. He said he might get a hive next spring. When people realize that bees are a great thing and not the monsters that some folks make them out to be they realize just how important to us they really are. The world need more bees and goofballs like us to tend them and spread the word ;)

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Zulu,
    You're a lucky man to have such capable and helpful neighbors to join you in your efforts.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Great job guys. When you said iddee was going natural I had a shiver of fear run down my spine.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you guys are my heros... the pictures tells it all.

:hi: to Zulu, Iddee and Jacob.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

That must have been a ton of fun!! The poor fella looking on while Iddee did the sting looked more than a little bit worried though. If it weren't for Mrs. Iddee's wonderful cooking skills there wouldn't be much more to that man than stubbornness and bee venom :D

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

So, Iddee talked me into getting the boys to put a Bee display at the Central Carolina Fair. the original idea was a observation hive but the format was not really suitable for that, so we limited it to a static display of honey, frames, hive body, beek tools, plus two boards with pictures and information.

My son and another younger boy did an educational display on Beekeeping ( obviously :D ) and three of the older boys did one on Scouting in General.

We walked away with $ 50 winnings in each category , and our Scout Master gave it to our beekeeping project. $100 for a few hours work. NICE!!

We have a smoker and two hive tools, plus two entrance feeders already donated. Hopefully I get the approval for the hive placement at the church this week.