Boy Scouts Beekeepers Grand Opening May 18 2 pm

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, May 19, 2011.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

You will recall that a petition was going around to attempt to persuade Boy Scouts of America to reinstate the Beekeeping Merit Badge. Well, as a result, I really got involved and have been working with both the East Coast Boy Scouts Council and PotashCorp to construct an apiary at the PotashCorp Eco Lodge 419 Boy Scout Road, Blounts Creek, NC. Over the past couple of months, I have worked with BSA in siting the apiary and obtaining donations of volunteer time and beekeeping items to be used at the site. With the help of many, the apiary was finally established on May 7. Two very sturdy hive stands were donated and installed by beekeeper Ron Sessoms while CCBA members Mary and Gus Dowdy and I instructed the Scouts on the assembly of woodenware (donated by Brushy Mountain Bee Farm). We worked together and assembled four hive boxes, frames and foundation. At noon, a delicious lunch break--chili--prepared by Lexie Dean, multiple event winner of Chuckwagon Cooking competitions around the country. At 2 pm the Scouts put on the suits, veils and gloves (donated by Brushy Mountain and Dadant, Inc.), lighted the smoker and grabbed the hive tools (donated by Triple S Bee Farm) and had their first experience with live bees. The two 3-lb packages of bees, donated and hand-delivered by Rick Coor, Goldsboro, were then installed. CCBA members Ryan Willett and Heather Lawson demonstrated to the Scouts how to install a package of bees and then the Scouts tried their hand at it. They did very well for first timers. Mr. Coor was also kind enough to bring an extra queen so that the Scouts could see close up what a queen looks like.
    Several folks were in attendance and we had a great time.
    Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting is now scheduled for Saturday, June 18 at 2 pm. Everyone is invited.
    The Eco Lodge itself offers examples of several different ecosystems on the Nature Trail, hands-on experiments both outside and inside the Center, and a variety of animals in unique terrarium, aquarium, and aviary displays. The future also holds both wildflower and vegetable gardens. You can check out the Eco Lodge at http://ecolodge.eccbsa.org. The site will be updated regularly.
    Needless to say, this project could not have been accomplished were it not for the people and companies named above who so generously donated both their time and beekeeping supplies so that Boys Scouts of America may once again become beekeepers reaping not only the benefits by way of healthy beautiful plantings and raw honey, but also being able to earn a merit badge as a result.
    If you want to see photos of the day, go to http://ccba.webng.com.

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Tia, Looks and sounds like it was a hit with the BSA. Rick Coor is the President of our chapter Coastal Plains Beekeepers and we had discussed your project at our last meeting. Looks like you pulled it all together, Great Job!

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Great job, Tia. You've done a lot for the bees and beeks of NC. Keep it going.

4. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Good Luck,
    hope the National Scout Leadership pay some attention.

Murrell

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

hat off to you and your effort here Tia.

6. Tia

Tia New Member

Thanks. Keep your fingers crossed that we can recruit more young beekeepers! I know most of you aren't even in the state and those of you who are are a long way off from Blounts Creek, but it would be great if we could make "an appearance," so folks could see how unified and friendly us beeks are. In any event, I'll let you all know how it goes.

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Tia , do you have any links to the requirements of the beekeeping badge

I am getting more involved in Scouts , as my son recently moved up, and I managed to get an antique Beekeepers Scouting Merit badge on ebay, so want to run a program here.

As my wife runs an embroidery business , I intend to recreate it, and award locally to those who earn it, should be a good discusion at Jamboree next year if we are succesful.

Ground swells often enable leadership to open their eyes

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Great job Tia, glad you stepped up to the plate, sound like you have hit one out of the park :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (and all of the others that helped and donated their time and resources).

9. Murrell

Murrell New Member

A question if I may;
    Can you add a unoffical badge/whatever to a Offical Boy Scout uniform ?

If you can I would imagine they would have Nascar-baseball pins etc stuck on them.
    Just wondering.

Murrell

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

Well since posting earlier , i attended our scout meeting, and got full approval to go ahead, i also found out that even if a
    merit badge is removed from the "current" program, if there is a full description of what is required, you can still do it
    and still be awarded the merit, thus the badge can be worn if
    earned.

ie nothing ever expires, and some very old and forgotten
    merits have been awarded in recent years.

I also joined the campaign myself by emailing the BSA
    expressing my willingness to mentor the Bee Keepers merit
    badge if reinstated AND i asked my club members who would join me to help

11. Tia

Tia New Member

Sorry for my delay in responding. Haven't been back to the website for a while. . .been busy (sorry, Iddee!). Anyway, Zulu, it looks like you got your answer and are well on your way to getting things set up and promoting beekeeping with the Boys Scouts! Wonderful.
    On July 16 there was another event at Blounts Creek. NCSU entomology students attended and participated in informational programs and I went into the hives for both a checkup and to show folks the inside of a hive. Talk about a receptive audience! The girls were festooning and we found the queen, so everybody "wanted to see." They were making me nervous, peering into the hive with no veils!! But the girls were on their best behavior and all went well. I got a great thank you from Allison Vinson, Director of the Eco Lodge. She said my presentation was the highlight of the day! I also got a nice thank you note from Wick Bode, Scout Leader and MB Counselor. And as a thank you present, he sent me. . .a Boy Scout Beekeepers Merit Badge!!! I'm trying to figure out whether I should stitch it to the ribbon of my Master Beekeepers medallion or frame the thank you note with Wick's business card and the beloved badge (I'm leaning toward the former).