Brand New from Southwest Indiana

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kenmire, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Kenmire

Kenmire New Member

Hello to All
    I am new to beekeeping and scheduled to get my bees and equipment middle of April. Will enjoy participating in this forum sharing my own experiences and will certainly appreciate any guidance from anyone. Thank you.

Kenmire

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Glad you found us. Welcome.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Ken and welcome to the forum :wave:

Good luck with your bees in the coming months, and there are many knowledgeable and helpful beeks on this site to help you out with any questions.

I use to have a great aunt and uncle that lived in Evansville.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

glad to have you welcome aboard. Hope to see you around often

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

My apologies if I am assuming too much. But... you will want to have your equipment ready and in place when your first bees arrive. Your hive bodies and frames should be assembled and hive bodies painted. Just don't want you to make a mistake a few new beekeepers make by thinking they can assemble the equipment while their bees sit stressed out in a cramped, hot box.
    I look forward to sharing with you. :wave:

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Great point srv, glad you picked up on that.

7. Kenmire

Kenmire New Member

Thank you, all, for your warm welcome. With respect to having my equipment set-up before I get the bees, I've decided to get my equipment several days before so that I'm ready and more relaxed when I bring home the bees. I appreciate your recommendation.

8. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Hello and Welcome to another Hoosier!

Be sure that you get your boxes painted in enough time so that they can dry and air out a bit before the bees arrive.

Are you connected to any beekeepers down there? Bee clubs are great places to find mentors and get connect to nearby beeks.

There's a Southwest Indiana Beekeepers Assn. Contact person is Kim Fromm, 812-483-0453, mail@houseonthehillfarm.com

Or, depending your location, it may be worth crossing the river into Kentucky:
    http://www.kyagr.com/statevet/bees/asso ... /index.htm

Lastly, the Heartland Apicultural Society (HAS) is meeting in Indiana this summer in Vincennes. Gonna be a great meeting:
    http://www.heartlandbees.com/

9. Greenb3tree

Greenb3tree New Member

Welcome to the forum! I have a friend in southern Indiana who got her bees last year the same time I did. It is good to hook up with other beekeepers, that way you can help each out, and have someone to talk about your newest obsession.

JC