Branding my hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Gypsi, May 11, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I think riverrat was working on some design for a branding iron.
    Up here we are assigned a beekeep number that must be on all boxes containing brood (if you are legal, there are unregistered ones out there) Most use a paint brush and paint them on, I made a cardboard stencil and spray them on. While I have heard of theft, it is small time and most don't bother with brands (yet).
    [​IMG]

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

gypsi,
    there are woodworking supply stores that carry 'alphabet's' that you can hit with a hammer to make a good impression , then just hit these letters or numbers with a propane torch, lightly, to burn them in......

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you would need to talk with Paul Jackson about what kind of identification is required. beyond branding some folks use stencils and just paint on some identification.

ps.... if theft is the concern then almost alway it is another beekeeper who steals hives and or hive equipment. the cast of likely suspect is somewhat narrow when it comes to the authorities looking for the perp.

6. Gypsi

Don't know, there are some pretty stupid thieves around here. They got my aquatics apron one year (missed hundreds worth of tools). Don't know what they did with half a box of baking soda, but I picked up ph kits and small tools for half a block. Neighbor found the apron when he mowed.

7. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Time to lock and load with rock salt Gypsi! How many hives are you up to now?

8. Gypsi

4 hives if we count the bee tree. And I don't use rock salt. 240 lbs of dogs help.

9. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Don't they still use bows and arrows ---- and wolves in Texas ? ---- ask Tec :grin:

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Stiff plastic lasts longer and doesn't get "flappy" when it is wet with paint. Just a minor suggestion.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

barbarian writes:
    and wolves in Texas ?

tecumseh:
    well actually beyond a few wolves in cages Texas has no wolf population....however my wife is considered by some folks to be something of an authority on wolves having done a bit of a cameo on National Geographic's the Hunter and the Hunted.

12. Gypsi

There are a few domestically kept wolves in DFW - but most wolf owners have been asked to either move or get rid of their pets. At least one slept on the sofa, not in a cage, lol.

The only surviving wild predators in my area seem to be coyotes and bobcats, and the occasional raccoon.

I need to have an apiary inspection to get my apiary number - just coming in from spring season, didn't get my nucs til April 28, but I'm moving a hive to my neighbor's tonight. Thinking about marking TX and my DL number inside it. Good neighbors and all, but I don't like leaving an option for ANY misunderstanding.

Gypsi

13. barry42001

barry42001 New Member