Brazilian Propolis Effective Against Tooth decay

Discussion in 'Bee Medicinals' started by Iddee, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The extracts E2 and E4 were highly active against the cariogenic bacteria Streptococcus mitis, Streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus salivarius. E2 was more active than E4, probably due to a higher content of 2-epi-nemorosone, while the latter was richer in di-hydroxylated compounds.

http://apitherapy.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... ainst.html

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

there are a few of the "natural" toothpaste brands that have included propolis for as long as they've been in existence ... Tom's of Maine has propolis in it, maybe Burt's Bees too. If I remember right there were several studies done back in the 60s or 70s that showed that propolis was effective in killing many different strains of the strep family of bacteria and was included from that time on in many of the health food store type oral care products based on that. Of course you'll never get a doctor to agree that it has any effect :roll:

Grandma used to keep a quart jar in cabinet with a wad of propolis in it covered with apple cider vinegar that she used to make a gargle/mouthwash for us to use when we had sore throats. I did that with my kids too when they were little and they never needed antibiotics :yahoo:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there was a mexican honey packer at the North American Bee Keeping Conference that had a nice chewable candy made with propolis (someone there told us the word literally means 'in front of the city'). nice product and my wife was a sure enough hit with the fellows manning the booth. evidently they are not so accustomed to meeting up with a gringa who's mexican/spanish is flawless.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

If propolis sticks to our arteries like it does to the inside of the hive and my truck paint when ingested,it's :wave: world. Jack

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Jack, you gotta stop eating your truck paint. :lol:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

:drinks:
    Hobie is on a roll... nicely done.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hobie, with my luck it's probably lead paint. :cry: Jack

8. robin001

robin001 Guest

Can anyone help me find a good dentist in Austin?

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Do any dentists use it as filling material? It certainly sticks well. :lol:
    Iddee: If I had teeth on my hands would they would be cavity-less? :dontknow:

10. rast

rast New Member

I wonder if propolis mixed with the polident in my teeth cup tonight would help anything :lol: .

11. RachelHaygoodNC

RachelHaygoodNC New Member

I think some natural toothpastes contain propolis.