Bread baking books?

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Hobie, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I was considering getting a book on bread baking for my sister, for her birthday, and am looking for recommendations from any of you bakers out there. My sister has been baking for a year or 2, so is not a total beginner.

Someone recommended "Bread Baking: An Artisan's Perspective," by Daniel DiMuzio, but one of the reviews on Amazon said that the metric-english conversions were wrong in the book, which could be a problem.

I've also considered making her a wooden bread rising bowl, which I have seen in Lehman's catalog. Anyone have any experience with bowls like this, and whether it is worth the effort?

Thanks!

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

The newsletter editor of my local bee club usually includes recipes, that utilize honey, in the newsletter. Typically, she shares homemade bread with the group and has referred to a certain bread baking book often. It just happens that in the last newsletter she wrote an article about her favorite book and included a recipe. She said she has used the book since her hippie days in the 70's and that she recently found it available on Amazon.com. The title is Tassahara Bread Book by Edward Espe Brown.
    I won't bore everyone with the recipe. She wrote that it is one of the finest cookbooks she has ever owned. Hope this helps you.
    I think a big super duper wooden bowl would be great too.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Thanks! I'll check it out.

My wooden bowl idea may have to wait to be a Christmas gift. I checked the chunk of elm log I had in mind, and water was literally dripping out of the end. Methinks it needs more drying time.

4. beekeeperhelper

beekeeperhelper New Member

Hobie,
    I strongly, strongly recommend The Italian Baker by Carol Field (ISBN 0-06-181266-8). It has recipes that are ultra simple all the way to fairly complicated using ingredients you can actually find. The book also has good pizza and foccacia recipes, as well as sweet breads and tarts. I use it almost weekly and my copy is stained, sticky and even smells good!
    A wooden bread bowl is a nice idea, but I have found that a large ceramic bowl works better. The ceramic can be warmed in the oven to receive the dough for rising, is easier to clean thoroughly, and for some recipes can be used both for mixing and the first rise.
    If you want to adopt another sister, I'm available. My sister doesn't give great presents like you do!