Brendon Park Apts. 3-7-12

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by bizzybee, Mar 7, 2012.

1. bizzybee

bizzybee New Member

This was an apartment building, it had old masonite siding that was pretty rotten along with the trim boards.
    Management said it had just moved in, I really did not believe them, still about 5 to 7 weeks before we have swarms around here.

100_2276.jpg They were going in under the flashing above the horizontal band board.
    100_2277.jpg This is the back side, I'm going in the back door, seems more fun to me.
    100_2278.jpg Found the bottom of the hive.
    100_2280.jpg Nice brood pattern.
    100_2281.jpg A little snooping and saws-all work the top of the hive was located.
    100_2282.jpg There had been bees in this wall before, see the old black comb.
    100_2283.jpg Here is the set up, bees were up at about 14'.

Tacked up all of the rotten boards since they did not want me to go and get new wood and do it right, hopefully the maintenance man will get the job done real soon. I did use a whole tube of silicon caulk to plug up all of the holes and crack I could find.

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Hey bizzybee,

Looks like you did a bang-up good job on that. They had actually called me to do that but I had my phone on silent and by the time I got the message they had already called you. Looking at it now, I'm glad you got the call as that's more than I would have had time to get into this past week and more than I would have wanted to get into anytime. I don't mind cut outs, but I hate when they have to be done on a ladder.

You're right that there's no way they "just moved in"... the color of the dark comb on the bottom indicates that they've been there for at least a year... not to mention that even as warm as it's been, it's still been too cold for bees to build comb at all so far this year, plus the nectar flow hasn't even started yet.

By the way, this is Ben V. from KCBA, I'll bet we know each other.

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

Very interesting, thanks for the pictures and story. Maybe management had just noticed they were there?
    Jim

4. wadehump

wadehump New Member

Just moved in last year

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Amazing- love the way they had the leaves of comb in two sections at right angles to each other.
    Did you get a queen, can you tell?

6. bizzybee

bizzybee New Member

@Bens Bees.............There is a small flow on they were packing in the pollen and quit a bit of nectar. The black comb on the bottom of the 2 x 4 is from an old previous hive, the hive I removed was probably from last year.

@Omie.............The entrance was on the east side and the combs were built north-south and east-west. the old hive below was north-south comb. Never did see the queen, will check for her in a week or so, give them time to settle in and the weather to warm up a little. I hope the bee vac got her, good laying pattern for sure. Got about eight deep frames of brood.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Great pics! :coolphotos:

8. bizzybee

bizzybee New Member

I robbed a frame of brood and nurse bees from this hive today to start a trap out.

Omie to answer your question did I get the queen, yes I did. Did not look for her since it was a little on the cool side this morning but saw plenty of new eggs in the combs.

They wee building comb from what was torn up, all of the cut out comb was attached, I could not believe they had worked that hard to be so cool.

9. bizzybee

bizzybee New Member

Some people always ask what happens to the rubber bands that are put on the frames to hold the comb in place...............
    100_2312.jpg

...........this is day six after they were cut out, notice the big pile on the ground, none of them were there yesterday.