Brick Wall and Steps House Trap Out

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, May 5, 2013.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

RDewhurst from this forum referred me to the owners of this house. He is currently out of boxes and lives further away. They are a ten minute drive away. The owner said this is the 5th year for this hive. They don't want to the grandchildren to get stung but they didn't want the bees destroyed either. I and the bees appreciate that!! :grin:

The bees were busy in and out. It was surprising because it was raining and in the 50's. I will be using a 10 frame for this one for sure. I am going to wait for a warmer day this week and have some ideas churning in my head already for how to mount the cone. My first idea is to fill in grout lines around the corner to the right on top and bottom of the brick that is in line with the vertical grout line entrance to the colony. Then, I think I will place boards on to right of the entrance to make that portion all a level area. Place the cone on. The bees can use the horizontal grout lines to walk over to the cone from the corner entrance. Next, place the box against the porch pointed back toward the house.

Anyone else have better plans of attack? Also, I may investigate the possibility of getting behind that porch. The owner originally said there may be no access. I don't want to tear up their porch floor either. The 3rd picture is my sketch of my idea.

DSCF6842.jpg DSCF6843.jpg brick porch trap out idea.jpg
    [video=youtube;SSgqU2gkpL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSgqU2gkpL0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

There are several way to attack it but here is what I would do........

trap 1.jpg trap 2.jpg trap 3.jpg

Then build a small platform to get the bait hive entrance up to the base of the cone.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

[video=youtube;xpeaj0tb-Nk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpeaj0tb-Nk[/video]

Here is a cone I cut the side out of.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks George...you do a good job of drawing those graphics on top of the pictures. That is dang cool! Looks like a good method to me. I wood have never thought of wedging wood in the joints or cutting a section of the cone away. A guy really needs to look outside of the box with these things.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I try not to put silicon on things, just too danged hard to remove. If you do need to put silicon on the brick or wood siding don't smear it in, just let it barely touch and it can be pulled right off. Steel wool also works in the cracks if you don't have any wood strips. Don't worry about the brick not being flat enough for the board to lay on, it only has to make a seal in one place.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Thanks for the complement, been drawing blue prints for 26 years and still use pencil and paper, never got into the CAD.

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Well, it sure shows..very neat. Anyway, I am glad you mentioned the wool. I was already planning on how to get my table saw out there to rip off various sizes of shims. Ha! I think I will buy a bag of wool and take some tap cons out. The home owners can simply plug up the holes left behind when they plug up the joint when we are finished. I am excited to do this one because it's on the ground. I will be using a 10 frame for this one. Probably should on all of them. But, this one looks big just from looking at the activity.

8. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Very interesting and helpful video. Thanks for sharing your ideas and experience.

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Okay, here is your brain child George. I set this trap-out up after taking care of my Catalpa tree trap today. It was overcast today and my hives were not happy when I took some eggs today. I got stung 4 times on the gloves. Only one of them made contact with my thumb but no irritation or pain for more than 10 minutes. I pretty much followed your blueprints to a tee. It worked out really well! I used 000 steel wool. It packed/bent in very well along the joints. The cone was a little tricky but I finally figured it out. I did end up cutting an arc out on the long board side. I then placed silicone along the bottom and top of the cut-out portion of the cone where it met the wood. Also, put silicone around the base. I bend the tabs of the cone base around the edges of the wood and then used a hand stapler. I stayed for a little while to see if they had found another hole but I think they are good for now. Thanks so much for your help. Your willingness to share your experience is much appreciated.
    DSCF8039.jpg DSCF8040.jpg DSCF8041.jpg DSCF8042.jpg DSCF8043.jpg DSCF8044.jpg DSCF8047.jpg DSCF8048.jpg
    [video=youtube;JjZiUvMGqR0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZiUvMGqR0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

10. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

The way you show you eventually tackled it is exactly the way I did it in the trap out I did from a brick wall. MInelead to a tunel that passed through a hogan trap box but it worked very well for a long period of time.

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well it looks good Dave and from the video seems to be working. Only thing I would add is a bridge from the base of the cone to the entrance of the bait hive. Anything will work, even a stick. You will be surprised at how they will walk over to the hive.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks George. I will get a stick or something bridged. I thought maybe they would creep up the cone to where it touches the box? You know, now that I think of it, I forgot to put lemon grass oil on the entrance. I was dog tired by the time I got to this trap out. It was overcast, cooler and misting. So, they weren't coming out in full force. I will run over there tomorrow morning.

I tell ya, being an adventurous keep is not for the weak or lazy. I am going to sleep well tonight.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now I have a question. Why are people using nucs for trap outs? If I thought an established hive only had enough bees to fit in a nuc, I wouldn't even bother with them.

I have never started a trap with anything but a 10 frame deep.

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I am amazed when I think of how quickly you have progressed in such a short period of time Dave. This job looks pro from start to finish!
    Kudos to G3 for posting all his videos and experience on these things for the rest of us to glean from. :thumbsup:

15. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Perry. Credit goes to George on this one. But, I will pass it along to the next generation.

Iddee, you have mentioned your thoughts on nucs before. I a firm believer now after messing with the Catalpa tree. :shock:

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Credit needs to go to Iddee, not me. Where do you think I learned how to do a trap out?!?!

I am just a good student and quick learner like Dave!

Not sure where the nuc thing came from either. I have done some trap outs with 5 frame nucs but they were splits that needed a boost i numbers and was promptly removed in a day or two and replaced by another nuc or deep 10 framer (best I remember anyway).

17. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Went back to check on the brick wall. I don't see any other entrance/exit. I placed a couple wooden shims on the hive to act as a bridge. I placed lemon grass oil on the entrance also. I peeked inside and saw a frame full of bees. Looked like everything is okay so far.
    DSCF8061.jpg
    [video=youtube;zetBGAsTuJw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zetBGAsTuJw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks like they started using that bridge pretty quickly. They are just too funny about having to march into the hive.

19. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeap, here is a better video...it's a bit longer but it was toward the end of my visit. It was about 4pm and bees were starting to return home. I didn't notice too many exiting the cone when I got there at 3pm.
    [video=youtube;ZmnZYTPqrGw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmnZYTPqrGw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

20. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Day 10 of trap out. I was rather pleased with the progress on this weeks inspection. You will notice the frame with the queen cell on it is a medium one. When I entered the next donor hive in my yard, I discovered it was not happy that day. I also discovered for the last time if I have anything to do with, that NOT using a queen excluder is not a good idea. I have tried this twice and will practice using one here on out, mind is made up on that debate. So, I made sure the queens were all down below on on all hives and put the exluders on. I grabbed one of the mediums that was full of eggs and such for lack of time and the hive being grouchy. So, on to what I found in the trap out hive.

Nice bee population, laboriously drawing frames from 1 to 10, one queen cell, one queen cup. It looks like they capped the rest of the eggs/larvae in the medium. That threw me off at first thinking there must be a queen. I did check thoroughly and did not find a queen. I am very excited about this trap out. It is seemingly text book (school of Iddee with assistant professor George, ha!). I am also VERY glad I used a 10-frame deep! This is a 5 year old hive or more. And, what a day too. I had a couple pull up that lived down the road. They watched, in a vehicle, my inspection of all 10 frames. They asked me if I wanted some bees. They had a swarm in a tree. Look for a post later this morning on that adventure. Enjoy the pics an vid.

DSCF8127.jpg DSCF8130.jpg DSCF8133.jpg DSCF8135.jpg
    [video=youtube_share;Qp4y856gGAo]http://youtu.be/Qp4y856gGAo 95%[/video]