bringing larva out

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by powwowman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. powwowman

powwowman New Member

I am pretty new at this. I haven had time to look into my hives in a couple of weeks. But I noticed this morning in one hive, bees were busy coming and going as usual. But they were also pulling out, white (almost fully developed) larva out of the front of the hive. Looks like maybe twenty or thirty larva on the ground. There has been a lot of robbing with this hive the past couple of weeks. Could that have something to do with it?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It could have, or a cool night may have left some brood exposed and chilled. Especially drone brood that was not in the main brood area.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It might be the hive's means of handling a situation where they themselves are starved for food. With no honey to feed the larvae (because of having been robbed dry), they eliminate feeding the larvae and use what little they do have to keeep themselves alive.
    Check the hive for reserves of honey and pollen and if it's short on food, start feeding immediately. At the same time, use all methods you can to prevent any further robbing: robber screen, reduced entrances, close down all and any cracks between supers.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

sounds like the bees got some good hygenic traits. Both efmesch and Iddee offered some good suggestions on the cause:thumbsup: