Broke out the heavy equipment yesterday

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Papakeith, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

This spring I cleared a 20x30 area off an access road to place my hives. Since I plan on expansion next year I wanted to reclaim a bit more of my land that hasn't been used, or at least used by my family, in years. Doing some rough math it looks like I cleared about 1/2 an acre.:thumbsup:
    Enter the brush hog and the bucket attachment on the tractor. It took me the better part of 3 hours to clear and mow. I can't imagine what it would have taken to do by hand. Even with the equipment I still have two piles of fill that I didn't get around to spreading.

Things I found out.

• I never piled any fill on that area. It's clean fill, mostly topsoil with a smattering of local rock. I guess the farm behind me thought it was their area to drop stuff on.
    • Stuff like a roll of 12ft deer fence can be hidden under dense brush. Again I thank the farm behind me. The storage fee, oddly enough, for keeping the fence on my property came out to the exact value of the fence I found. :)
    • I'm gonna need a bigger tractor (read, I need to talk my father into buying a bigger tractor:lol:)

All in all it was great to clear the space. Now I can put up a pig pen and have oodles of room for however many hives I end up setting up for next spring.

Attached Files:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

is the photo a goodle earth kind of picture?

a snip...
    I'm gonna need a bigger tractor (read, I need to talk my father into buying a bigger tractor[​IMG])

tecumseh:
    what kind of tractor are you currently using?

back when I was doing this kind of thing I found the kind of brush cutter you had made a larger difference that the horse power of the tractor. a tractor plus a front end loader + the proper brush cutter made the job much much easier.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I love projects like that...make sure to update this thread on your continued progress Keith..

4. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

It is, I did a little bit of cropping. * I noticed after I posted this you can see my wife and her trainer in the horse ring.

It's a New Holland TS 110. kind of like this one http://static.mascus.com/image/product/large/d0f22e78/new-holland-ts110,11176b8a.jpg

Agreed. a neighbor has a small excavator. I may try to borrow it at some point before the heavy frost hits to smooth out the area a bit better.

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Not a farmer but horses (and pigs ?) don't like bees.

6. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Nice job and good luck. Good picture. Is that your farm?

7. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I think I've heard that line from everyone I've ever met who owned a tractor!

8. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

@Barbarian. They'll be mostly separated. I guess we'll see what happens and adjust accordingly

@Bamabww:
    some of it is. Here's the layout of the family farm. 1 is my part . 2 is my Father's. The dirt path that marks my property line used to be the main road. When they rebuilt it upteen years ago it split our property.

Attached Files:

9. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Nice. I've got to see if I can get a Google map of my property.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

nice tractor... although they don't build them like they use to.

I would suggest you investigate a bush hog designed for small brush (we use to loosely call them a brush ax here) or a brush grinding rig* that looks (and I think operates) quite a bit like a flail mower (a horizontal revolving cylinder with cutter blades). either of these items makes clearing small brush much less stressful and in the end the job just goes and looks better. I don't really know the hp of the tractor in the attached link but it looks large enough to get the job done once the right tool is attached to the rear.

*I use to operate one of these that was very large on a larger articulated tractor and you could even set the rig to grind the brush to below ground level. typically what was left was a bunch of wood debris none of which was much larger than chip or a matchstick. running the rig at the surface of the ground or below gave an almost finished look to the ground but it did cost you in the wear on the cutter blades.