Brood box questions

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by stugger57, Jan 10, 2014.

1. stugger57

stugger57 New Member

I am using an 8 frame brood box. Upon last inspection I see that the girls have multiplied nicely and are going strong. I have about 3 frames left to fill with brood. I know that the bees fill the used cells with honey, pollen, royal jelly so should I just leave these frames in the lower brood box and add a second brood box on top when all frames are full in the lower? or keep one brood box and remove used frames and replace with bare frames which doesn't seem right. I don't want them to outgrow their home and spring is right around the corner here in San Diego. My research doesn't answer this question of what to do with a full brood box. Thanks!

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ok so you are saying there is 5 of 8 frames built full now? if so you should think about putting a second box on now cause the moment something big comes into bloom they are gonna run out of room fast.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Watch the bee population and their space requirement. If you have 6 frames of bees there will only be brood in 4 of them. Also count your brood and calculate their expansion. Caped brood will emerge over the next 12 days, open brood and eggs the following 9 days. A full frame of brood when hatched will provide bees to cover 2 additional frames. Using this information you can anticipate the needs of the bees in advance.

4. stugger57

stugger57 New Member

I didn't get the second brood box on in time before the bees started drawing out honey comb in the first honey super. They are doing a fantastic job of it. Can I still add the second brood box now and simply put the honey super on top of it? I would imagine the bees will shift their attention to the new brood box and ignore the honey super for now. No brood in the honey super yet.

5. melrose

melrose New Member

If they've completed cells in that super, chances arethe queen is laying in them already. No big deal really unless you're harvesting the honey. I'd place another deep below the super and call it a day. You can't really screw these girls up. In fact they'll sense the fresh wax up top, on their way up they have to pass over the empty frames... they'll see they're empty and start building comb there. Def check the fresh comb for eggs, leave them or scrape the wax and let them start all over. You'll find diff opinions on here after my post. Either way you go, the bees will straighten themselves out.

6. stugger57

stugger57 New Member

Sounds good. I will get a look inside and add the 2nd brood box. That should keep them busy for awhile.