Brood Builder patty and my small swarm

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, May 23, 2012.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I hived a smaller than a (American) football size swarm a week ago. I've been giving them 1:1 sugar syrup and they have taken it but at the start slower than I expected. I figured that may have been because they were still gorged on honey but don't know for sure. I had a half of a Brood Builder patty (http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1046) that a friend had given me to try. It's been in the freezer about a year and I thought I'd give it to this small swarm to see if it would help them get started on the right foot, so to speak.

I've also been told these patties are SHB magnets so I've been watching it closely. I put it in a hive top feeder in a medium super with a screened inner cover so i could see what was going on easily. A week later they haven't even touched as far as I can tell. I have removed the "guards" used to prevent drowning from the feeder so the bees have easier access to the feeder.

They are an active bunch and have started building comb on the deep I placed them in with one frame of brood from my strongest hive. Any reason besides they just don't want it for them not participating in the patty feast I provided?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They prefer natural pollen when it's available, and it is.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I've also been told these patties are SHB magnets

tecumseh:
    not only a magnet but a bit like pumping up the SHB with reproductive hormones.

4. beewitched

beewitched New Member

I have been using the pollen patties from mann lake on all four of our hives. Out of those four, two hives took to the patties really well and two wouldn't touch the patties at all. Also, we think we got one package from Kelley bees that had shb in it. (saw the beetle right after install) In that hive only we removed one pollen patty that had larvae in it. Although we haven't seen them in any of the other hives, we've got traps and the ground salted under all four- just in case. The two that have been taking the pollen patties are also drawing out comb faster than the two that aren't- Could be coincidence though.

-Bee

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    Randy Oliver's name seems to be popping into my mind a lot this morning. In a recent article he made some mention of a casual observation about hives that don't take up patties. I think his comments was in regards to hives in the late fall of the year that he was preparing to take to the almonds.

I myself try to never feed pollen patties in the warmer months of the year.

6. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I was afraid of that so I'm removing it Friday morning weather permitting. Thanks for your advice.