Brood Chamber Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hog Wild, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I have a hive that both brood chambers are in desperate need of replacing. The hive is thriving but I don't think the boxes are going to make it through the season, I have tried to make repairs to no avail.

What is the best way/time to go about swapping them out to new boxes? I am thinking the sooner the better. :confused:

2. Robo

Robo New Member

As long as the weather is warm enough, go for it. I assume you just want to pull the frames and put them in newer brood boxes?

Just pull the frames one at time like you are inspecting, and instead of putting them back, put them in the new box. When the top box has been moved, got to the bottom box. If there is a lot of field bee activity, I would move the full old bottom box off the bottom board and replace it with the new box and then do the transfer. That way you aren't battling with the incoming bees.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Re: Brood Chamber Dilema

If you can, pick a nice sunny/warm day (as best you can at this time of year).
    Set your new bottom board beside your "old" hive, or if you can move your old hive over, do so, and put your new bottom board in it's position. Remove your top deep and set it aside. Remove your frames from the old bottom deep and set them in your new box on the new bottom board (always keep frames in exact position that you remove them). Place second new deep on top of first and repeat procedure with the frames from your old top deep. Shake or brush and hangers on in the old boxes on top of it all, replace cover and you're done!
    Doing this on a day when most of the foragers are out will make it a little easier. If it is warm enough, you can do this on a day you are carrying out a regular thorough inspection, checking brood pattern, looking for eggs/queen if that's your thing, otherwise just move carefully.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It is forecast to be in the 70's in your area Wed. and Thur. If it is sunny, that would be an ideal time to get it done. Robo and Perry explained the procedure well.

5. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Thanks guys! :thumbsup: Just wanted to make sure there was no down side to doing it immediately.
    Iddee hopefully the forecast will hold true, boy did they miss it today!