Brood, Larva, Eggs but no honey

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Sharbee, May 19, 2019.

1. Sharbee

Sharbee New Member

I did a walk away split at the end of March. It went well, got two queen cells and drones, one queen hatched, heard her piping, brood showed up a few weeks later. Three weeks ago I had 4 frames of honey (2 full and 2 partial), 3 frames with brood, eggs and larva and 3 empty frames. Today when I got into the hive there is a small amount of brood on three frames, larva, eggs but all the honey is gone! Some of the frames that formerly had honey have nectar and a small amount of pollen but 2 are completely empty. Is this robbing, have they just eaten their stores and are not foraging enough or what? I moved a full frame of honey from my original hive to the new one and added a board feeder to feed inside the hive and removed the external feeder I was using. I will also add that 3 weeks ago I had an empty super on my two deep original hive and today the super is completely full of honey. Could my original hive have robbed out the split hive? Advice would be appreciated.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

You did not give your area in your post. Nor mention whether there is a flow. It could be robbing that hasn't gotten quite extreme enough to kill the hive, so a robbing screen might be a good idea.

When nectar flow is weak robbing is more common, and small hives are very vulnerable.

3. Sharbee

Sharbee New Member

I am in Oklahoma. There has been a flow but unsure if it's still going because we have had so much rain lately.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

The original hive probably robbed the split. Add a robbing screen in the evening, so workers know how to get out and then how to get in. Our flow here is still on, and I am expecting mesquite as well, soon, but it will dry up after the mesquite. I am in North Texas

5. Sharbee

Sharbee New Member

Thank you for the advice!