Brood Patterns in TBH

Discussion in 'Organic Beekeeping' started by Fuzzystuff, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I'm new and very green, but I learn better when shown what to look for. See pictures below; I'm thinking that my brood pattern is pretty good and that I have a good queen. This is the first time openning the hive since it was moved to this location from a local BK that installed it for me 4 weeks ago. I see honey and pollion at the edges and then the signs of emerging bees. Am I missing anything else? I am hoping all is well as the other 2 hives look about the same although they are at different stages of drawing comb.

[attachment=0:124r3pmc]IMG_0419.JPG[/attachment:124r3pmc]

The only bad thing is that there is a lot of posion ivy in this area so I have to be careful with the kids when they come out. Is it ok to treat on a calm day?

Attached Files:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If the center has been refilled with eggs, than the comb looks good. She should be laying in the center cells as they emerge.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if you have eggs and larvae at the center to the bottom of the comb, sometime drones around the edges of the workers brood area along with a band of pollen and then nectar/honey towards the top bar (above the brood and pollen) then everything is about as nature planned (or didn't plan according to your leanings).

ps... thanks for the picture and the tbh looks very nice.

4. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Thanks iddee and techmesh I will keep looking and quit stressing. This is suppose to be thearpy.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think that for myself I would suggest every hobbist and some us who ain't hobbist take you heed.

I also think Iddee is a marvel in how he encourages everyone to worry less and enjoy the beekeeper more. Hats off to Iddee on that most unique quality.