Brood question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, May 2, 2012.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I installed 2 packages on April 17th into hives with drawn comb and honey/pollen stores from my hive that didn't make the winter. I finally got to go into the hives this morning and all looks good..found the queens and there is capped and uncapped brood but my question is; when I put the frames in the hives I put the full frames of honey toward the outsides of the boxes and the empty brood frames in the middle and now the bees have brood in the outer frames and none in the inner frames, just exactly opposite of where they should have it. Is this because there is more stores in those frames? The bees are filling the tops of the inner frames with nectar and pollen but no brood yet. I know its not that big of a deal but can someone reassure me that they will eventually move to the inner frames. I know I probably have young queens that maybe don't have the hang of things yet but it bothers me when they don't follow instructions:lol:

2. tommyt

tommyt New Member

Bees have no respect for rules, in fact most times go out of their way to break a few :shock:

Tommyt

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You may have eggs or very young larvae in the inner frames and just not seen it. Just a possibility. Are you saying that bees have removed or eaten the honey in the outermost frames already and are raising brood there?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Are the inner frames brood cells, or larger honey cells left from last year??

I would move them out and place the brood frames in the center.

5. letitbee

letitbee New Member

perrybee and iddee...the two outermost frames are almost all honey, I placed them so that the frames moving in to the center had less stores on the top of the frame and the center two had almost nothing in them. They have begun storing nectar and pollen in the innermost frames but as perrybee suggested, they may have eggs in those frames but I wasn't able to see them..my eyes aren't what they used to be, much less trying to see through a veil. There is both capped and uncapped brood in the outer frames with the most stores. The capped brood looks real good with almost no missing cells so it looks like I have two good queens. It makes sense to me that the queens would lay in frames with the most stores. They also have repaired some damaged comb and really cleaned things up well but as much as I tell myself not to worry so much because the hives are queenright and they are trucking in groceries like crazy, I would like to have sucessful hives this year given the problems I had last year. I swore to myself I was going to try to manage my hives this year without coming to this thread and asking a lot of questions but I digress, so here I am worrying again:wink:

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It is against the rules to try to reduce asking questions here. That is all that keeps us going. :D

They will always surround the brood with stores, including above. If they are only filling above the brood area and not all the way down, it is as should be.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If no one asked questions here, most of us would just shrivel up and dwindle away! Thinking about answers and what may be going on also comes in handy when we come across the same situations ourselves. :thumbsup: (Plus if you stop, Iddee might just look you up!) :shock:

8. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Uh oh...base on the verbal jousting that Iddee and riverbee had on another thread of mine, I wouldn't be able to handle him:lol: I do try to use common sense in figuring out problems with my bees but the little buggers like to throw curves a bunch. I have gained a wealth of knowledge from you guys and can even talk with local keeps without looking too stupid based on what I have learned here. I guess I will just apologize upfront for being a worrywart:thumbsup:

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The only apology you will ever have to make is for staying away. All else is acceptable. Besides, me and riverbee were just trying to stir some life into the party, we weren't fighting. :D

10. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

I did my share of worrying last month, to keep them busy here. (had a spring from "H - E - double toothpicks") If I didn't I may have never got my 2 backyard hives back on track. I am happy to report today's inspection had no issues! they are both awesome and the new young queen we found on 4/20 has got it going on! Combined colony is doing great too! I will update the blog tomorrow...:yahoo: