Bt Aizawai Powder ????

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by mdunc, Jul 23, 2012.

1. mdunc

mdunc New Member

This question probably belongs in the Pest and Diseases forum but I thought I would post it here because of the high traffic in this forum. Where can I buy the Bt Aizawai Powder??? I was trying to buy it from Sundance but haven't heard back from him since around July 4th (I hope nothing has happened). I haven't had a wax moth problem in my stuff yet (knock on wood) but my dad can't store anything that the wax mothes don't get in. They're not getting in his hives just supers & drawn comb that he has stored. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I will see if I can find his phone number.

hang tight for a few.

3. mdunc

mdunc New Member

Thanks...:thumbsup:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It's amazing how well a good colony can keep itself clean of wax moths. Lots of times, when I take off the honey, if I don't return the wet combs to the hives for cleaning and protection, after 2-3 days I'll already see the first signs of wax moth development.

6. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

I've found this to be true as well,I've never seen any signs of wax moths while they're in the hives with or without BT treated frames,until I've taken off supers(for any reason)and stored them.Every time within a week of doing so,I've had wax moth damage starting and had to put the frames in the freezer to kill off them and any other critters that may be lurking,then sealed them in storage bags to prevent any further infestations,until they're ready to use again.
    It just goes to show what efmesch says may be true,that a strong colony is the best defense against wax moths.

7. mdunc

mdunc New Member

Are you saying that you get wax moth damage on stored frames that have been treated????

8. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Yes I am,every time.In fact just had it happen last weekend with supers I took off the weekend before.

9. mdunc

mdunc New Member

Has anyone else had this problem?? I was under the impression that once treated your wax moth problem would go away.

10. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

I store mine stacked on top of one another wrapped in card board & all the joints tightly sealed. There is no way they can get in.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I'm sorry to say that I have had wax moth damage on BT sprayed frames---but my BT stock is not fresh material and that could be the reason.

12. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

A good wrapping of plastic and a CO2 canister at the top on slow release also has a reputation for working. Until the CO2 runs out. Or bee-safe moth crystals (not grocery store moth balls)

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have not had any problems with sprayed frames of drawn comb. Matter of fact I had a small stack of shallow supers that I had extracted and put in my Mothers basement garage, had been in there for about 20 years (imagine that). Had them stacked in top of a telescoping lid with newspaper in between each super and topped off with a piece of plywood.

There are some pics on here some place.