Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I extracted today and was wondering if now is the right time to spray the comb and frames before putting them back on the hive for the bees to clean up?
Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
No, let the bees clean up the comb.

If you are going to store the combs off of the hive them spray them, let it dry and then put away for the season.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I would let girls clean the frames first.

·
Registered
983 Posts
You may store them on the hives, but I found it impractical:roll:
Once frames are dried and sprayed with BT I just stack them no more than five deeps high.
Make sure mice can't enter, otherwise... you can imagine:wink:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Marbees,I'm curious as to not stack them more than 5 deeps high after spraying with Bt.?? I have stacked them 10 to 12 high with know problems after using Bt. Once in a while i will find where wax moth have started on a frame or two, but not enough to do much damage. Jack

·
Registered
983 Posts
No other reason than ease of manipulation, and wind factor. On the top of five deeps stack I put a cement block. Wind can blow really fast up here.:sad:

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
wax moth will even work on plain foundation, they will starve to death though since there is nothing for them to eat. They do very little damage to it but you can still see the silk tunnels.

·
Registered
379 Posts
We have problems with SHB here, so before I store them, I freeze them for 48 hrs. Then I spray them, let them dry and store them. Beekeeping sure is getting to be a lot of work!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts