buckets and jars?

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by drewgrim, Jun 25, 2011.

1. drewgrim

drewgrim New Member

does anyone have any suggestions for food grade buckets and honey jars from a local place?

2. rast

rast New Member

Honey containers for resell I order. Buckets used to be easy, now the bakeries here can't give them away any more due to not having "a child can drown in this" warning label. But you can still try. Firehouse subs sells their pickle buckets here for $2. Sorry, not much help.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Post your location, maybe someone near you knows exactly where you can get them locally.

3. divkabee

divkabee New Member

I'd pass on the pickle buckets. My sister gave me a beautifully sturdy one but it stank forever of pickles. I wouldn't take the chance on ruining a batch of honey. That pickle bucket is now relegated to carrying things like dirt, etc.

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

Wally world has them plenty cheap enough.

If you want high quality look for any Home brewstore close to you or order them online from Plastics USA

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome to our forum! :wave:

Ice cream places usually have plastic buckets for sale cheap. Restaraunts sometimes have anything from coleslaw, margarine, etc. buckets as well.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nope, but welcome to the forum :hi:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Be careful... All buckets are not food grade plastic.

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I buy buckets from a placxe that recycles used buckets which they collect from stores and restaurants all over ther place. Maybe therew is someone who has a business just cololecting them and this place recycles them.

Anyway, they get them in by the semi load. Then they wash and sterilize them, clean the lids and replace gaskets.

They also sell new ones. Actually the only ones they will sell me are new ones. But the price is good. Compared to a case of 5 lb jar which cost me around $10.00 when I buy 100 cases or a pallet, a $4.00 bucket is cheap and reuseable. $20.00 to hold what $4.00 holds?

Yellow pages. Some detective work.

For jars? Canning supplies are okay. At your local Hardware store, Wallie World, Home Dept or Loews perhaps. Otherwise you'll have to find a bee supply company that will ship them to you. Unless you live close enuf to one to go get them.

I buy mine froma guy who buys them from Gamber Container/Gamber Honey Co., buy the semi load, by the pallet. Find someone like that for the best price.

Good luck. Hope that helps.

9. beehacker

beehacker New Member

I got several 5 gal pickle buckets ($2 from FireHouse Subs or free elsewhere) but did not use them this year because they still smell. I understand it takes weeks for the smell to get out. I tried bleach and baking soda. I think it just takes sun and time.

I did get several very good 2 gal. icing containers from the Kroger bakery for free. These are food safe, white, easy to clean, and no lingering smell. I also got a 1 gal plastic jar that held cherries from an ice cream parlor (Brewsters).

Regarding glass queenline, muth, or hexagonal jars, find a local supplier if possible. You will double your cost (or more) in shipping costs. Plastic is lighter and cheaper to ship. Canning jars will be easier to find.

Good luck,
    Tom Rearick
    www.beehacker.com