buckwheat!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Aug 15, 2013.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Planted about 1.25 acres of buckwheat in one of my beeyards. Haven't been in there in almost two weeks and was surprised to see it in full bloom! Even if it doesn't make honey it sure is pretty!

buckwheat.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It makes honey. They will work it from daylight until 11:00 AM. Then it's like a buzzer goes off and they leave for the day.

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

At that point they should move on to the two acres of sunflowers just to the south.

4. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I think you'll be well pleased with the buckwheat / whatever else they gather honey. I have gotten very good results from it.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wow, great pic! like iddee said they work it in the am and then the buzzer goes off.....i love buckwheat honey!
    and sunflowers?! very cool!

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

He actually seeded on the light side, supposed to seed @ 40 lb/ac and he only put down 30 lb total. I think he may have put the other 20 lb in over by his house half mile away so there may be closer to 2 acre in the area.

He puts out the black oil sunflowers for the birds and saves a lot of seed heads for turkeys which are tame as laying hens out here. I was checking hives in April and had 3 toms in full strut about 20' from me without a care in the world.

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

8. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Going to have to find me some of that seed....we have a few patches here on our 5 plus acres that could use some for the bee's ...Thank you. Tom

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

10. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Buckwheat grows great! When it Seeds Plow it in if you can and if there's enough warm weather it comes back again for another round of filling Supers!

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I got my buckwheat out late this year (the rain), it is going to seed now. When the seed hardens i will run a brush cutter over it slowly, and then disc it in. i should get another bloom from it before frost.:thumbsup: Jack
    ​PS. in my area i can usually get three blooms out of it if i get it out in early May.

12. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Went out this morning around 8 to see the bees working it. Holy cow!!! The whole field was buzzing with bees on nearly every flower cluster. The farmer that owns the land was so thrilled with how it looks and attracts the deer he said he wanted to put in 3-4 acres next year!