Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to beekeeping and plan to build a Langstroth type hive over the winter. To start, I plan to have two medium hive boxes and one medium super. I realize I will likely have to expand to larger boxes if I am at all successful in starting a colony, but I'll deal with that as it comes.

I'm a relatively experienced woodworker with all the tools necessary to build a hive, based on plans I'm using from my "Building a Beehive for Dummies" book I got on Amazon. In fact, I've already completed one box and have the two other boxes in the pipeline.

My question has to do with stacking the boxes. According to the plans I have:

1. There is no bottom on the boxes. I guess the frames just hang there so the bees can freely move from one level to the other. Is this right?

2. Do I just pile the boxes one on top of the other? My plans don't show any sort of alignment pegs or whatever to keep the boxes from sliding around in the stack. I was thinking of adding some pegs (dowels) to keep the boxes aligned, e.g. in a high wind. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for any help on these items. I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I get deeper into beekeeping.

Kevin (radarguy)

· Registered
925 Posts
answers...1 correct the frames hang from the top of the box, 2 the boxes just sit on top of each other and the bees quickly glue them together, DONT put any pegs to align the boxes or you will never get them apart as many times you need to slide them side to side before lifting, if you want to put some removable external alignment thing a magig go ahead..lol but I have never seen one on any boxes, many times I have seen a ratchet strap hold the hives together and down onto a base, mostly to keep predators from knocking the hives over..

· Registered
925 Posts
the first time I went to unstack the boxes I was amazed how well the bees glued them together, make sure you have some hive tools to separate boxes and pull frames out, they get glued in place like you wouldnt believe..

· Administrator
3,743 Posts
You will need either a solid bottom board or a screened bottom board. Not sure if we have any plans on here. You also will need an inner cover and a telescoping cover. Why the inner cover? because the bees will glue the lid on and you can't get a hive tool under a telescoping cover. (I thought the inner was unnecessary til the first time they did that, shame on me...)

· Registered
925 Posts
Gypsi,
Thanks, I am planning on an inner cover. I'll have to look up what a telescoping cover is.
Kevin
its a cover slightly bigger than the bee hive to allow a top entrance for bees and comes down about 2 inches over the sides of the hive box and has a metal covering on top to make it weather proof..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.