Building All Season Inner Covers

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by crazy8days, Jan 21, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Been busy building Inner covers. My goal this year is to have 12 hives. Have to catch a few swarms to get my 12 but I'll be ready.

all-season inner covers (1).JPG all-season inner covers (2).JPG all-season inner covers (3).JPG

140- 1 inch holes are time consuming. Especially when painting. Used a paddle bit and holes are a bit rough. Need to find a way to make smooth holes. Be easier to paint.

2. Omie

Omie Active Member

Oooh...real nice!

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Those look interesting to say the least.

To smooth up the hole sides, take a small file and sharpen the paddle bit on the inside of the spur. This makes it cut rather than plow.

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

I wasn't happy with paddles, switched to flute auger. Easier to work with but still some exit wounds.:smile:
    Not big deal, you staple it with wire cloth anyway. Nice work :thumbsup:

5. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

looks good! Reminding me that I need to start ordering lumber if I'm going to build my own components this year. Yet another list to compile :)

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

A forstner bit in a drill press will produce the smoothest holes. But as G3 said sharp pits cut Dull ones tare the wood.

7. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I like using a rover for holes, here's a video that I sent to the Italians with one of the many issues I've had with this machine.Most times it would take days to here back from them but seems that when the safety mats are not working as designed (where I'm standing the machine should shut off immediately ) quick response after the video got a wake up call from Italy at 3am asking me to lock the machine out till the next day so they could get a tech to look at it.

[video=youtube;JW_FWb_4SfE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW_FWb_4SfE[/video]

and this is what a proper rover looks like in action
    [video=youtube;IFIGekHlux8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFIGekHlux8[/video]

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Dam reidi_tim that is some serious machinery.

9. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

That would be nice! but don't think it would fit in my garage. I've bee looking on Craig'slist for a good "American Made" floor model drill press.