Building an Incubator for Queen Rearing

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Capt44, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Capt44

Capt44 New Member

I am building an incubator for rearing queens and there isn't a lot of information out there.
    A lot of research this is my gang plan.
    I built it out of 3/4 inch Birch plywood 23 inches long X 16 inches tall x 15 inches wide and sealed inside and out with polypropylene.
    I installed a fan forced heater (100 watt) with digital thermostat from Incubator warehouse.com
    The door has 2 panes of glass making a 5/8 inch gap to be an insulator.
    I plugged it up and set the thermostat at 92.3 degrees F and it heated up to that point and held.
    I am going to put 1/2 inch foil backed insulation in tomorrow.
    I will have a pan of water in the bottom with a vent to the outside to regulate the humidity which has to be 80-90%.
    I'm going to try and add some pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Looks good capt. I hope it works, I may need some queens:smile:

This is Yankee11(Steve) in Cabot. This is the forum I was telling you about.

That is the same kinda bator I built and the only thing I found was I had bad condensation build up on the glass when Humidity would
    start hitting around 60%. But, I was doing chicken eggs and temp was at 99. not 90-93. I has to put a piece of styrofoam over glass. But
    I see you have double glass so may not be an issue.

That thermostat works great. Will keep temps within 2/10s of a degree. I hatched some chicks out in Dec. in the garage and outside temps were
    in the 30's. Hatched 19 out of 24 eggs. Thats a huge hatch rate.

3. Ray

Ray Member

What are you going to do about the honeybees need to fly to eliminate their waste?

4. mdunc

mdunc New Member

You only put the capped queen cells in the incubator. You use the "hair roller" style cages so that the queens hatch out in the roller cage & can't fight or kill one another. Then you just take them out & put in your mating nucs. Of course I haven't done any of this yet...just been reading & thinking of doing it myself.:smile: